Silkie Rooster Powers Through/ Owl attacks

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by acmetnt23, Nov 21, 2012.

1. acmetnt23

acmetnt23 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    Hi guys,

Recently I had an incident with a hawk and my adult silkie chickens, who we let out for the day and put in a coop at night. We let them out in a raspberry patch with a net over to protect from hawks, cats, etc. I heard a squawking and immediately ran outside to see what happened. Two adult hawks, a mating pair, were snapping through the net and attacked my white silkie rooster. He had a puncture in his back. Today, he is heathy and living without fear.

[​IMG]
    (He is the bottom white rooster)

Also two years ago, we had a coop made out of chicken wire. Apparently a critter created a very small whole in it without us knowing!!(I'll never do that again)[​IMG][​IMG]. We had our 3 month old silkie chicks in there and left them out for the day. Iwent outside to let my dogs in and what do i notice, the chickens were all gone. So these 15 chicks "disappeared" when I see, all of a sudden an owl, yes an owl at 1 oclock in the afternoon, carrying on of my chickens. I then chase it when it finally releases the chick. I had to look under the cars, through the weeds and all over to find them all, but luckily I did. None of them were harmed because the owl's claws didn't puncture the chick because it was so small. They were traumatized but after a week or so, better than ever. (One of the chicks included the white rooster from the picture).

He is a real trooper

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Sorry for you loss!

3. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    He didn't die! [​IMG]

4. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    What a strong little guy. Roosters are pretty tough. [​IMG]

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Thats awesome, what have you done to prevent it now? and did you have to treat him?

6. acmetnt23

acmetnt23 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    We doubled wiring and we haven't seen many owls recently so it hasn't been a problem lately. We iept up him inside and washed him off/ cleaned the wound

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Something to be very Thankful for.

8. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I am so happy he made it through that one!

9. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    That's wonderful! About them surviving I mean. I always think that it's a great lesson when you have a non-fatal encounter with a preditor. It kind of teaches us to be more careful without conseqences

What an dorable, tough little rooster!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by