Silkie rooster quite amorous and aggressive

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OldMcContri, Feb 15, 2015.

1. OldMcContri

OldMcContri Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    I have a silkie rooster who is a little under 1 year old. He has become quite amorous towards you particular hen to the point of stripping the back of her neck of her feathers, and pecks at the other hens, not to mention aggressive towards me. Does this behavior reduce as he will get older or worse?

2. battagliac

battagliac Chillin' With My Peeps

We had the same thing with our silky rooster. He often mounted larger size hens and stripped the feathers off their backs, particularly to the hen at the bottom of the pecking order. We tried to separate when possible and we sometimes isolated the rooster and eventually it slowed down and they hen grew all her feathers back. He still chases her around sometimes, but we have anther full-size rooster too, so she can follow him around for protection. In our case, it has slowed down as the rooster gets a little older, but I would try to help out if you can.

3. dragonflysister

dragonflysister Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2013
    I am having the same problem. Full sized roo, buff orpington hen. Its almost like he isnt mating at all with the other girls. He is only about 6 mos old. He chases her constantly, so much so that if she doesnt get in the coop before him, he waits just inside the door and jumps on her as soon as she is in the door! Last night I let her sleep on the porch just to get a break from him! Should I start going out before dusk and locking him in a separate place? If he is in the coop before i get out there, its no use! He goes on the defense once he is in the coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by