Silkie Rooster Unwell- White Diarrhea!

Their crops are emptying overnight?
Any mold in the feed?

I'd try giving a pelleted feed, omit the oatmeal, limit any type of treats, get them on some probiotics and see that they have grit. See if that makes a difference.
Thanks a bunch. I checked their crops first thing this morning and hers had not emptied! However, the other bantam hen in the group (2 hens 1 roo) has the same poop as the hen in question but her croo was empty this morning. So now, all three of them at some point has had this strange poop, but nothing is coming up in the fecal. What should I do about the hens crop not emptying? I have taken them off all treats, I have actually moved them back outside into a winterized chicken coop and they are seeming to do very well. They seem happy to be outside!

How long ago did you move your hens? My (probably overly optimistic) hope is that she is just stressed and having trouble with the new situation. Can you separate her and see if she still has a good appetite or does she generally seem unwell? The green is likely bile from not eating enough.

Are you keeping them in your house? Another possibility is that they've found something to eat that they shouldn't have. I left a hen roaming in the garage for five minutes once and came back to find her pecking paint off an old board...

Of course any number of infections are also a possibility, as well as "old age" diseases.
Thanks for your reply. I moved them inside 2 to 3 weeks ago to be with the rooster, but missed them so much. When I brought this hen inside, though, I realized how much weight she had lost, and that her poops were immediately like this upon bringing her inside. So she had had it before I just hadn’t noticed because we have a lot of chickens outside! She is six years old, so it could be an old age disease. Again, so strange that all three of these have now had the same very white or very clear liquid poop with very green inside, but nothing is coming up on the fecal. We also just switched their food this week to being formulated by us, so I don’t think the food is an issue. Nothing in poops has changed since switching food.

Thanks a bunch. I checked their crops first thing this morning and hers had not emptied! However, the other bantam hen in the group (2 hens 1 roo) has the same poop as the hen in question but her croo was empty this morning. So now, all three of them at some point has had this strange poop, but nothing is coming up in the fecal. What should I do about the hens crop not emptying? I have taken them off all treats, I have actually moved them back outside into a winterized chicken coop and they are seeming to do very well. They seem happy to be outside!
I mentioned in the response to the other gal, but wanted to make sure I mentioned to you as well that we switched their food just this week to formulating it ourselves. Of course, we got direction on how to properly balance it all. Their poops have not changed though, and all the other chickens outside have had very changed poops from the new feed. In fact, they look much healthier. Not so with my Bantams…

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom