Silkie Rooster with foot problem?..NEED ADVICE!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kysilkies, Mar 4, 2012.

1. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Here is our first and favorite Silkie "Puff" who's almost 3yrs old...I noticed his feet are getting white and scaly?...It doesn't seem to bother him, but not positive...Anyone know what this is, if it's a problem and how to cure if it is?!?!?...Thanx in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    He has scaly leg mites. You will need to treat his feet with some oil/vaseline to smother the mites. Your other birds will probably also need treatment, as well as the roosts that they use. The oil will work, but in very severe cases an insecticide is recommended.

3. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Would tea tree oil work?...

We now see 4 others in his coop have it...Is there any large scale way to get rid of them?...

Thank you for the info!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    NO!!!! Tea tree oil is highly toxic if ingested in even the most minute quantities. Use Pam cooking oil spray or vaseline.

5. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Thanks again...We're using that tea tree oil in our dog's ear and just wanted to ask...

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Be wary of that if you have multiple dogs, especially small dogs. A few years back someone posted on here about accidentally killing their small dog with tea tree oil applied to the skin for a skin problem. The dog licked the oiled areas, started seizing shortly thereafter and died quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by