Silkie Rooster with swollen eyeball

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CoopedUpChicken, Aug 17, 2016.

1. CoopedUpChicken

CoopedUpChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    My silkie rooster has a swollen eyeball. The eyeball itself looks a little puffed out compared to the normal one, looks like a little infected in the front corner. His eye lid can open all the way but he likes to keep his eyelid half shut. What can I do for him please?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post a picture? Does he have any nasal or eye drainage, sneezing, gasping, or other sign of a respiratory infection? Are there any peck marks around the eye or any dirt or foreign objects inside the eye? I would get some Terramycin eye ointment to put into the eye twice a day. If there is a respiratory disease, you may want to use Tylan or tetracycline for an antibiotic orally.

3. CoopedUpChicken

CoopedUpChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Some whitish eye drainage in front right corner of his eye. I've put neosporin on his eye area (tonight was 2nd night of treatment) and I haven't seen any improvement yet. I'll take a pic tomorrow when he roosts. No sneezing or anything weird. Behavior is completely normal. Eating, drinking is normal.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I will be offline for about a week or so, so cannot respond. Clean out any white or yellow discharge with QTips and saline or water before applying eye ointment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by