Silkie Rooster

cehasz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
Hey all. I just started a young flock of black silkies. I have a 4 month old rooster and 4 seven week old chicks. The seller told me the roo was very docile and should live well with the younger ones, so I tried it. Well, this bird is so docile, he acts as a mother to these chicks. Today I even found two sleeping on him. None of my other Roos are this maternal and I think it is absolutely amazing how he adopted them as his own. Has anyone else ever seen this?

Hey all. I just started a young flock of black silkies. I have a 4 month old rooster and 4 seven week old chicks. The seller told me the roo was very docile and should live well with the younger ones, so I tried it. Well, this bird is so docile, he acts as a mother to these chicks. Today I even found two sleeping on him. None of my other Roos are this maternal and I think it is absolutely amazing how he adopted them as his own. Has anyone else ever seen this?

Yes. He's paternal, not maternal. Chickens, when allowed to, make excellent family units, when in possession of enough ancestral instincts. It's natural to the species for males to be gentle, caring mates and fathers, snuggling babies and feeding them as well. Some males I've had have also tried to incubate eggs. I used to think it was gender confusion but it's not.

Congrats on having a good paternally inclined male, hope he goes on to have a happy family with your chooks.

Back
Top Bottom