Silkie Sexing 3 months

scarletbaby

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 23, 2010
These silkies are about three months old. They came from show quality birds. I was wondering if you could help me sex them.
First silkie: Buff (No comb and is the smallest)

Second Silkie: 1 week older Black

Third silkie: Splash (Single comb has been developing since it was tiny)

Fourth Chicken: "Blue" (suppose to be blue but looks black to me. This one has a larger comb than black but it is still rather small)

Fifth: White (medium sized lumpy comb)

Group Picture

So what do you think? This is our first time getting silkies from a breeder so they look a lot diff than our hatchery chicks. Im fearful that they are all roosters except for the black and possibly the buff. Thanks for the help

Last edited:
I will likely never find this thread again! I've had multiple strokes causing brain damage. I don't know if it's allowed or not but can someone send a message to me on Facebook (Tracee Pettee) so I get my answers? I am attaching a photo of one of my Silkies because to me, it looks like she/he has an abnormal growth on her beak!

Attachments

• ThelmaBeak.jpg
    ThelmaBeak.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 13
I will likely never find this thread again! I've had multiple strokes causing brain damage. I don't know if it's allowed or not but can someone send a message to me on Facebook (Tracee Pettee) so I get my answers? I am attaching a photo of one of my Silkies because to me, it looks like she/he has an abnormal growth on her beak!
@TraceeP1 Hopefully you see this. This "abnormal" growth is the comb. Silkies have walnut combs. This bird is a cockerel. 😊

@TraceeP1 Hopefully you see this. This "abnormal" growth is the comb. Silkies have walnut combs. This bird is a cockerel. 😊
Thanks so much for the reply! My husband, who knows nothing about Silkies other than than he loves to hold him, said "it's a boy" LOL He's almost a year old and has never tried to mount his roommate, and has never crowed! His name by the way is Thelma as in Thelma and Louise the movie hahahaha

None of them look, to me, like roosters. I had a black Silkie rooster that had a much bigger comb than all of yours at this same age. He never had noticeable streamers. Although I had another rooster with a very small comb that developed long streamers. There could be streamers starting to develop on yours but it's hard to tell from the pictures. They are beautiful Silkies! It'll be a little bit easier to tell in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom