silkie sexing request

Jimmymtl

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2021
Hello, I am in communication with a person selling Silkie chicks, and she has sent me 2 photos of 2 white babies
One is 8 weeks old and the other is 4 weeks old .Anyone have experience to give me feed back male or female, and bearded or not bearded
Thank you all very much in advance for your knowledge:)
Chick #1
8 weeks old
IMG_5482[1].JPG
IMG_5483[1].JPG
IMG_5484[1].JPG

Chick #2
4 Weels old
IMG_5485[1].JPG
IMG_5486[1].JPG

Thanks for your link... not very helpful for 8 weeks old chicks, more like 18 weeks old.
If anyone with more experience can give their thoughts I would love to hear then. Also if anyone thinks the two are bearded or not.

They are both bearded white silkies. The younger one hasn't grown in its beard yet.

As far as sex goes, it's too soon to know for sure, as others have said. I see no obvious signs of either being a cockerel at this point, but it could so easily change.

If you want to buy the chicks now it is going to be a gamble in getting females. If you are willing to pay for birds that might turn out to be boys, and have a plan to deal with boys if you cannot keep them, then it might be worth it so long as the price of the chicks is reasonable.

The truth is that almost no one, hatchery or breeder, sells sexed silkie chicks. If you want them young it will probably be a gamble regarding their sex. If you want guaranteed females, you will need to buy older, sexable birds, and they will cost more.

So just take some time to evaluate the pros and cons of buying these particular chicks, and make the best choice for you.

In the meantime, keep your eye on this post. Silkie experts may be able to help with the gender of these birds, so give them a chance to respond.

Back
Top Bottom