silkie sexing request

Not the greatest quality. The first bird has a very strawberry comb coming in. All skin on a silkie should be black.
Thank you for your feedback.
So in your option both are not very good quality?
I am looking for female that will be of good silkie quality. Not for shows,but my our addition.

The second chick looks unbearded to me. In my experience they are born with the beard if they will have it, even if it is a smaller, less full one.

Both chicks are still at an age where it is very hard, if not impossible, to sex unless the mulberry is coming into the comb or wattle area (which will likely be barely noticeable buds at 8 week). I have had one or two that had extremely subtle hints of mulberry come in around that age and you had to be in natural light to see it.

Some breeders will do DNA sexed pullets but they will be older and you will pay a premium for the DNA sexing and raising to several weeks. Youngest I have seen offered is 3 weeks but most common I have seen is 6 weeks. I have a pair and for me it was well worth it, especially after our first batch of straight run silkies was 80% roos who took 4-6 months to reveal themselves.

Thank you for your feedback.
So in your option both are not very good quality?
I am looking for female that will be of good silkie quality. Not for shows,but my our addition.
The older one is not. If they both came from the same "breeder", I'd be willing to bet the second one isn't either.

The older one is not. If they both came from the same "breeder", I'd be willing to bet the second one isn't either.
The Breeder is offering the one as well. Is the better quality? Possibly a female ?
It is 6 weeks old. 9AA3214D-7DD1-486B-AD82-8CF62F4D4D55.jpeg A550F08B-8E76-4029-8161-69AC8EB18328.jpeg

The Breeder is offering the one as well. Is the better quality? Possibly a female ?
It is 6 weeks old.View attachment 2499153View attachment 2499154
To me they do not look like good quality. A breeder selling Silkies with red combs would make me question their entire stock.

Most of the time you can just tell at 6 months what sex a Silkie is. Absolutely no way to tell at 6 weeks.

The second chick looks unbearded to me. In my experience they are born with the beard if they will have it, even if it is a smaller, less full one.

Both chicks are still at an age where it is very hard, if not impossible, to sex unless the mulberry is coming into the comb or wattle area (which will likely be barely noticeable buds at 8 week). I have had one or two that had extremely subtle hints of mulberry come in around that age and you had to be in natural light to see it.

Some breeders will do DNA sexed pullets but they will be older and you will pay a premium for the DNA sexing and raising to several weeks. Youngest I have seen offered is 3 weeks but most common I have seen is 6 weeks. I have a pair and for me it was well worth it, especially after our first batch of straight run silkies was 80% roos who took 4-6 months to reveal themselves.

Thank you for your valuable feed back.
Would you be so kind to give me your opinion on the quality of the 3 silkies I posted pictures.
Thank you for your time

Back
Top Bottom