Silkie sexing!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Heather94, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Heather94

Heather94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2016
    Columbus Ga
    What does everyone think? About5.5 months. No crowing, no eggs, no dancing around the ladies. Hoping it's a pullet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cream puff

cream puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    pullet

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Somehow it just looks cockerelish to me. Silkies are hard to sex, though, so I could be wrong.

4. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Looking like a pullet to me. My silkie cockerel started developing a big comb and waddles, and hackles...the whole lot way before that age. By now i would imagine to see a bit of comb development and or waddles if it were a cockerel. Im not seeing streamers or pointy hackle feathers either...[​IMG]

5. Heather94

Sep 14, 2016
    Columbus Ga
    I have a white that I'm sure is male. Has streamers. But no comb and he's bearded so can't see any waddles. They are the same age.

6. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a picture? More often than not streamers indicates a male on silkies. So he may be a slow developer..

7. Heather94

Sep 14, 2016
    Columbus Ga

I hope so!
    I do have an 8mo Silkie male that didn't show any signs of being a boy til about 6/6.5 months. Now he is all boy and dancing around the ladies. So fingers crossed this one don't surprise me

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm leaning toward pullet but would like to see photo , head facing front, with crest held back to display entire comb. The only sorta comb photo looks wide for a pullet.

9. Heather94

Sep 14, 2016
    Columbus Ga
    I'll take one when I go back out in a bit!

10. Heather94

Sep 14, 2016
    Columbus Ga
    Im leaning more towards cockerel, but im not sure. Black Silkie. Coming up on 6 months. Brother has long, thick streamers out the back of his crest (the white silkie "Blizzard"). This one seems to have short, thin streamers, tho im not positive they are streamers or not. any insight? Current pics have been uploaded. I tried to get a comb pic, but doing that on your own is not easy [​IMG]

Im really hoping this one is a pullet, if not, then all 3 of my silkies are cockerels [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have one we swore was a pullet (as did most on here) til around 8 months, then all of a sudden "she" had a large comb, and was dancing around the ladies, & now @ 9.5 months has started crowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by