silkie sexing

This looks like a boy to me, but it's still too young to be certain.

Thank you for responding. I'm becoming increasingly confident that this one IS a cockerel, along with the smallest of my three Silkies, leaving me with one female. My two "suspects" each have a walnut comb forming, and waddles, one with red coloring and the other a dark grey. My third chick has neither of these features. It's not just their appearance leading me to that conclusion, but also their behaviors and the behaviors of my other chicks in the mixed flock. Nobody bats and eye when I handle one of the "suspicious" chicks, but as soon as I pick up the alleged pullet then both the Silkie suspects and my Barred Rock cockerel stand at attention and observe me with profound interest, if not concern.
roll.png

My Gingy, presumed cockerel, at 7 weeks:

My second suspected cockerel, Tika:

And my potential pullet, Didi:

I know these photos aren't great, and I apologize for that, but I'm fairly confident in my assessment so far.....at least until a presumed cockerel lays an egg.
big_smile.png

That is good towards a pullet, the 'streamers' usually remind me of a sliked back guys hairdo... not straight up, i have a pullet gaining some new head feathers and she looks like that all straight up spiked, she's definitely a she...

It's the swooped back straight out feathers that get me going oh, here we go.. cockerel  :p

Thanks everyone. I will keep you updated when I get either an egg or a crow. :)

Hello, These are our first silkies. Just got them this week. They are 6-8 weeks old. Any ideas on what sex they are? All are so gorgeous that we can't imagine not keeping them all but at some point we might not be able to have them all, and it would be helpful which is a he or she.
Thanks so much!!

Hello, These are our first silkies. Just got them this week. They are 6-8 weeks old. Any ideas on what sex they are? All are so gorgeous that we can't imagine not keeping them all but at some point we might not be able to have them all, and it would be helpful which is a he or she. Thanks so much!!
They're really too young to tell but if I had to guess I would say 1 and 3 are probable cockerels and maybe 4. And they are all beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom