silkie sexing

Shoot...it's probable a Roo...looks like that comb is getting big...however...it could stay the same ...it does have a bonnet looking head dress like a pullet... i have seen hens with flat combs like that....  sorry that's not much help  :)  

Hey, I knew it was a guessing game.
1f609.png
Thanks for your time. He's loved ether way. I was just hoping for a girl. 5 out of 5 males.
1f615.png
I think I'll call him Deegan.

Quote:
5 out of 5 males....darn. did you hatch them or buy them? If you bought them, what age were they? I've had good luck with looking at how wide the space is for their combs... at about 1 1/2 months... boys seem to have a square space(gap), if that makes since...females have a line, hardly any gap.. try to pick ones with no space or gap...they are usually female.... always have to say usually hahaha :) Yeah... looks like 'Deegan' a boy..a very handsome one at that.... great color :)

5 out of 5 males....darn.  did you hatch them or buy them?  If you bought them,  what age were they?   I've had good luck with looking at how wide the space is for their combs...  at about 1 1/2 months... boys seem to have a square space(gap), if that makes since...females have a line, hardly any gap.. try to pick ones with no space or gap...they are usually female....  always have to say usually     hahaha    :)       Yeah...  looks like 'Deegan'  a boy..a very handsome one at that....   great color     :)    

I bought them from chick day at the local feed store. As day old chicks. 3 on May 24 th and the last two on September 20 th.

I was lied to both times. It was a different guy both times. They said they were vent sexed and were female.
1f61f.png
I was new to chickens then, but when they started crowing.
1f620.png
I called the hatchery and was then told that's only 63% accurate! So that's when I joined BYC to help sex my white silkie Neytiri.

He's now a male bird with a feminine name.
1f614.png

As for my black silkie he started out as Cassie but now he's Castiel. The third is now my brother's. Tum Tum *a.k.a*(stinky feet)
1f602.png
is what he named him!

My silver splash silkie started crowing at 2 1/2 mouths old.
1f623.png
now he's named Gideon.

Then finally, the Partridge I just named Deegan.
1f610.png
I'll have to give up on my girl. My silkies are house chickens.
1f632.png
My outside girls,(black stars, red sexlink and goldens) no matter what I do, try to kill the boys.
1f62f.png
They would be plucked in no time!
1f629.png

Sorry, long story not so short.
1f609.png

I bought them from chick day at the local feed store. As day old chicks. 3 on May 24 th and the last two on September 20 th.

I was lied to both times. It was a different guy both times. They said they were vent sexed and were female.
1f61f.png
1f620.png
I called the hatchery and was then told that's only 63% accurate! So that's when I joined BYC to help sex my white silkie Neytiri.

1f614.png

As for my black silkie he started out as Cassie but now he's Castiel. The third is now my brother's. Tum Tum *a.k.a*(stinky feet)
1f602.png
is what he named him!

1f623.png
now he's named Gideon.

1f610.png
1f632.png
My outside girls,(black stars, red sexlink and goldens) no matter what I do, try to kill the boys.
1f62f.png
1f629.png

1f609.png

I would not give up on that bird being a pullet! Hatchery silkies typically have sizeable combs and I really think it's comb would be much larger if it were a cockerel. Can you post a profile pic and a whole body shot?

1f61f.png
1f620.png

1f614.png

1f602.png
is what he named him!

1f623.png
now he's named Gideon.

1f610.png
1f632.png
1f62f.png
1f629.png

1f609.png

The partridge could be a girl. Silkies can be very surprising. I had a silkie who I had thought was definitely a rooster, but one day she laid an egg. Deegan looks like he has a large crest which is very uncommon in hatchery roosters, so he could still be a she. Don't give up yet! You never truly know until they crow or lay an egg!

Quote:
I have a frizzled silkie Cockerel 10months old, that i put with my larger hens when he was about 7 or 8 months...the older hens still don't let him breed but the younger ones do.... he's getting braver everyday and earning their respect . You'll be able to let your cockerels out with the girls once they are grown(unless you have a big rooster...he'll kill them) . I've been told they don't sex small breed bird because it's too hard, and kills them, sounds like they weren't be honest with you :( I hope your little Deegan is really Dee...does have a full head dress like a female :)

Back
Top Bottom