silkie sexing

Yes, age would help. It could be a budding cockerel, or just a puller with a red comb.

I agree with ashtree, breed it back to a nice Silkie and you'll keep more Silkie traits. I started from scratch too, its been a really fun project! I still have some tweaking to do, but my Sizzles get better with every generation!

Good luck!

[/IMG][/IMG]

Oops, didn't mean to send that pic without a message. I have a 6 month old Silkie that looks like a roo, but no crowing or male behaviors. My 7 month old black hen laid her 1st egg today. Yay! Any ideas about the sex of my "little guy"?

Oops, didn't mean to send that pic without a message. I have a 6 month old Silkie that looks like a roo, but no crowing or male behaviors. My 7 month old black hen laid her 1st egg today. Yay! Any ideas about the sex of my "little guy"?

I think the silkie in the previous post is a pullet :) The beardless silkies sometimes look more rooish.

I also think that you have a good chance of a pullet here. Once the casings on the poof fall off, it appears she will have a nice large poof. I have two white silkie hens and they both have large combs. One has a very large black comb and the other has a large red comb with large wattles. My hen with the black comb is dominant and in charge, so I had truly thought she was a roo until she squatted. Both of mine were laying a little before 6 months old, but I think they were early birds after what I read on here about silkies.

T
I also think that you have a good chance of a pullet here.  Once the casings on the poof fall off, it appears she will have a nice large poof.  I have two white silkie hens and they both have large combs.  One has a very large black comb and the other has a large red comb with large wattles.  My hen with the black comb is dominant and in charge, so I had truly thought she was a roo until she squatted.  Both of mine were laying a little before 6 months old, but I think they were early birds after what I read on here about silkies.  
[/quote

Back
Top Bottom