silkie sexing

T
I also think that you have a good chance of a pullet here.  Once the casings on the poof fall off, it appears she will have a nice large poof.  I have two white silkie hens and they both have large combs.  One has a very large black comb and the other has a large red comb with large wattles.  My hen with the black comb is dominant and in charge, so I had truly thought she was a roo until she squatted.  Both of mine were laying a little before 6 months old, but I think they were early birds after what I read on here about silkies.  
[/quote

Thanks! I've gone back and forth with this one. lol. Fairly erect stance, and are those streamers? I'm new to Silkies and my knowledge is limited :). It really doesn't matter to me, I keep the Silkies separate from my 4 big girls, and I don't have a rooster.

Thanks! I've gone back and forth with this one. lol. Fairly erect stance, and are those streamers? I'm new to Silkies and my knowledge is limited
smile.png
. It really doesn't matter to me, I keep the Silkies separate from my 4 big girls, and I don't have a rooster.
Those don't like streamers to me. They look like the casings that cover the new feathers. When they fall off they should be poofy feathers. But I could be wrong.

Here are my two if you want to compare to yours. They were around 5 months old at the time.

This is them more recently - They are about 9 months now. They are with their Cornish Cross Hen friend. See how straight and tall the one of the right stands. That's the one that I thought was a rooster, until she squatted, laid me a lovely little egg and went broody week later. Little stinker!

Those don't like streamers to me. They look like the casings that cover the new feathers. When they fall off they should be poofy feathers. But I could be wrong. Here are my two if you want to compare to yours. They were around 5 months old at the time. This is them more recently - They are about 9 months now. They are with their Cornish Cross Hen friend. See how straight and tall the one of the right stands. That's the one that I thought was a rooster, until she squatted, laid me a lovely little egg and went broody week later. Little stinker!
Beautiful girls! I really have no idea what I'm talking about with this bird. I was positive she was a pullet, and then as she grew she looked different than the black one, so I started wondering. They're both from a local farmer, so who knows what's behind them. I bought them as pets for my granddaughter, and she doesn't care if it's a he or a she. Thank you for the info. I appreciate it!

I have two silkies that I'd love for you guys to take a guess at. They are both roughly 3-4 month old. I included front & side views of the 2 in question. Thanks so much!

1st one: Front view

1st one: Side view

2st one: Front view

2nd one: Side view

Back
Top Bottom