silkie sexing

I think your king is a queen! And if you're getting 10-12 eggs a week with only 1 other layer that's proof enough ;)

My son so disappointed! The silkies have never used the roost or nesting boxes in their coop...I find their eggs on the ground outside. On my neighbors advice I put a nesting bucket in the run with ceramic eggs--if the pullet went broody but eggs kept showing up then I would know for sure that King was a girl.

This is what I found today (the pullet is the white one):

Update: I posted in October asking people for their opinions on my splash silkie. Everyone said rooster.... but she was the first chicken in the flock to lay an egg! Just another example of why you should wait to be absolutely sure before making your mind up. Here she is, at 26 weeks old, with her first egg!

hi, quick question,I have this silkie, who was "buffie" it was so tiny we thought pullet, never crowed, we then thought a roo, as it developed more of a comb, altho it has a nice round fluffy little crest, it's hackel feathers are more pointed, now we started calling this silkie "tanner" as we started thinking him a roo... still no crow, altho we have a dominant roo in there "Geo" so Geo now mounts tanner, who is ok with this, which I read is normal as tanner wants to save his bacon and keep the peace.... well tanner has taken a liking to our little broody silkie and sits next to her on the next, I recently quarantined her as i'm giving her eggs soon, well I found tanner last night sitting on an egg himself outside the quarantine area.... i'm guessing someone else laid it as I have other hens in there, but now i'm second guessing tanner again is he really "buffie"????.... the entire maroon comb makes me think roo, but the round crest and submissive nature and he's sooo tiny make me think hen now???? and one more tidbit.... we had another roo at our place this summer who couldn't stand this chicken, which again made me think roo, he'd chase this poor thing everywhere, I figured maybe he knew something I didn't??? but now seeing the size in these pics (just took at lunch quick) thinking hen again! ARGHHH! help! I could quaratine and wait for an egg as a last resort...
barnie.gif
this chicken will be a year old in March....

hi, quick question,I have this silkie, who was "buffie" it was so tiny we thought pullet, never crowed, we then thought a roo, as it developed more of a comb, altho it has a nice round fluffy little crest, it's hackel feathers are more pointed, now we started calling this silkie "tanner" as we started thinking him a roo... still no crow, altho we have a dominant roo in there "Geo" so Geo now mounts tanner, who is ok with this, which I read is normal as tanner wants to save his bacon and keep the peace.... well tanner has taken a liking to our little broody silkie and sits next to her on the next, I recently quarantined her as i'm giving her eggs soon, well I found tanner last night sitting on an egg himself outside the quarantine area.... i'm guessing someone else laid it as I have other hens in there, but now i'm second guessing tanner again is he really "buffie"????.... the entire maroon comb makes me think roo, but the round crest and submissive nature and he's sooo tiny make me think hen now???? and one more tidbit.... we had another roo at our place this summer who couldn't stand this chicken, which again made me think roo, he'd chase this poor thing everywhere, I figured maybe he knew something I didn't??? but now seeing the size in these pics (just took at lunch quick) thinking hen again! ARGHHH! help! I could quaratine and wait for an egg as a last resort...:barnie this chicken will be a year old in March....
I think that's a pullet! :)

This is Phillis. She/he is 6 weeks old. Any guesses to gender? This is my first time as a chicken owner, so I know very little.

Back
Top Bottom