silkie sexing

Phxflurry I think he's btwn 4-5 wks. From searching on net. The guy who sold him to me must be loco. He's not even really feathered out yet. I was thinking roo too. What about the partridge? I think pullet.

@minichik

I would wait a while to ask they really seem a bit too young to tell to me. I'm only on my first silkies myself but I would say wait a couple weeks and repost I think the partridge may be younger than the other one.

Still wondering about this one. 18 weeks. It usually does not stand so erect but it was very curious about the phone being put in it's face.

Last edited:

Still wondering about this one. 18 weeks. It usually does not stand so erect but it was very curious about the phone being put in it's face.

it's comb seems pretty flat I'm guessing a pullet but not 100% sure. BTW beautiful blue and I like the smaller crests. My silkies that have big crests are flighty little things BC they can't see. I need to do some trimming but that only helps so much. We have one pullet Lovey that's a beautiful blue/splash that is adorable and sweet but once ran headlong into a tree when it was time for bed and she didn't want to be caught but couldn't see the tree. She was of course not hurt but watches out for that tree much better.

I don't know if these help any. Chickens just don't keep still for pictures!!
I can relate to it being hard to take pictures. I'm still not seeing anything that screams cockeral at me. Some more close pictures of the face might help more too. How old is "Ginger" again? My Ginger acted very tomboyish and her comb and wattles(she's not bearded) developed quite quickly but stopped growing after a while. I'm still not sure he or she could go either way and Ginger may just have to be one of those wait and see birds. My fingers are crossed for you and Ginger. Also I love your Ginger almost as much as mine. :) Do you plan to keep it if it's a boy?

I can relate to it being hard to take pictures. I'm still not seeing anything that screams cockeral at me. Some more close pictures of the face might help more too. How old is "Ginger" again?

My Ginger acted very tomboyish and her comb and wattles(she's not bearded) developed quite quickly but stopped growing after a while.
I'm still not sure he or she could go either way and Ginger may just have to be one of those wait and see birds. My fingers are crossed for you and Ginger. Also I love your Ginger almost as much as mine.
smile.png
Do you plan to keep it if it's a boy?
Actually this one would be Mary Ann. Ginger is a production red :) I can't keep roosters in my city. And now also I'm scared about my houdan, the Las Vegas Showgirl. I'm afraid Vegas is a drag queen! They are about 12 weeks old. We got 5 chicks on Nov. 22nd, two easter eggers, a production red, the silkie and what we were told was a polish, but is really a houdan.

Back
Top Bottom