silkie sexing

Please help me! I think the buff is cockerel but I'm hoping the white one isn't either. She's my favorite. What do you think? They are six weeks. Thank you!

They both look like cockerels to me. I could be wrong though!

Please help me! I think the buff is cockerel but I'm hoping the white one isn't either. She's my favorite. What do you think? They are six weeks. Thank you!

The buff definitely looks like a cockerel. I'm not so sure about the white one. Closer pictures of the comb on the white one would help identify the gender.

The buff definitely looks like a cockerel. I'm not so sure about the white one. Closer pictures of the comb on the white one would help identify the gender.

Ok here are more pictures of Coco close up.

I also took a picture of my blue girl Boey to compare. I'm pretty sure shes a pullet. Thank you!!!

One more update on Torchic the silkie! I'm like 95% positive that she is a lady now! Just four weeks ago she looked like a cockerel and even some of the people on here agreed! Just goes to show that you shouldn't rush to get rid of potential cockerels! There is still hope that they could be pullets! I spent hours waiting for the chicks to show up at D and B supply so I could get first dibs and then spent another 30 minutes trying to wing sex and pick the smallest and meekest chick while also checking toes and looking for beards. I can't believe a 17 year like myself with no experience sexing chicks accurately chose a pullet
1f60b.png

Two greys are 2 months old. Buffs are 3 or 3.5 months

A side view of the first buff would help a lot but I think your white is a cockeral- depending on age- and both buffs look like pullets to me from what I can see. The others I can't tell too young except the last is screaming cockeral. Most of your little ones seem boyish to me right now. But don't give up hope!

One more update on Torchic the silkie! I'm like 95% positive that she is a lady now! Just four weeks ago she looked like a cockerel and even some of the people on here agreed! Just goes to show that you shouldn't rush to get rid of potential cockerels! There is still hope that they could be pullets! I spent hours waiting for the chicks to show up at D and B supply so I could get first dibs and then spent another 30 minutes trying to wing sex and pick the smallest and meekest chick while also checking toes and looking for beards. I can't believe a 17 year like myself with no experience sexing chicks accurately chose a pullet
1f60b.png

I'm glad keep us up to date! You'll have to get a pic of her first egg :) on another note does her neck look bent like that or is it the photos? Not to be an alarmist but if her neck looks bent in person either most or all the time or if it's even just starting I would do research and start treating her for wry neck.

Last edited:
@chickendreams24 Ill look into that! She normally doesn't have that bent of a neck, I think it's just the pics, but it doesn't hurt to do research!

So I have 4 silkies that are around 11-12 wks old. 1 has very red comb and another looks like it's going red. The other 2 act more "sluched" low laying like hens. 1. Aren't silkies supposed to have black combs? I'm confused bc I bought "show quality eggs" and the pics of the parents (or supposived parents) had black combs. These white silkies look gorgeous, but what's with the red comb.)
2. My friend seems to think the 2 with the red must be male...is it true the males would get the red and not the female at this age...or is this back to #1 where they may just have a "defect" and half are black combed half are red and it is no indicator of sex...?????

Here's a horrible pic of them. Just to be clear...everything else on them skin wise is black. I'll get a better pic tomorrow.

I'll get a pic showing the red comb...I never even noticed til my friend pointed it out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom