silkie sexing

So I have 4 silkies that are around 11-12 wks old. 1 has very red comb and another looks like it's going red. The other 2 act more "sluched" low laying like hens. 1. Aren't silkies supposed to have black combs? I'm confused bc I bought "show quality eggs" and the pics of the parents (or supposived parents) had black combs. These white silkies look gorgeous, but what's with the red comb.)
2. My friend seems to think the 2 with the red must be male...is it true the males would get the red and not the female at this age...or is this back to #1 where they may just have a "defect" and half are black combed half are red and it is no indicator of sex...?????

Here's a horrible pic of them. Just to be clear...everything else on them skin wise is black. I'll get a better pic tomorrow.

I'll get a pic showing the red comb...I never even noticed til my friend pointed it out.

Pure silkies are not meant to have a red comb, especially show quality. It's meant to be a dark mulberry colou.

Thus is my 7 week old silkie who I think will be a boy, with the comb

Last edited:
Pure silkies are not meant to have a red comb, especially show quality. It's meant to be a dark mulberry colou.

Thus is my 7 week old silkie who I think will be a boy, with the comb

Well drat! So the red has nothing to do with sex? I guess I'll be rehoming the two red ones and keeping the two with the black/dark comb. Here's a slightly better pic of the really red one. (Hard to get a good pic at 5 am ;-)

Hi! Thank you for this post! I'm new with silkies ans I really need help sexing my little babies! This Photoshoot was so funny!!
1f602.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f648.png

Chick #1:

Chick #2:

Chick #3:

Chick #4:

Chick #5:

Chick #6:

[/IMG]Hi! I have three silkie chicks that are 8 weeks old today. I am thinking that I may have at least one pullet one rooster and one I'm not sure on. Any help would be great.

Last edited:
Hey Guys! I posted a couple of weeks ago and my babies were too young to tell, so I waited a bit and here are the new pictures! if anyone has any opinions it would be greatly appreciated! I tried to get a side view and a comb picture for each one and I can add more if necessary!! Fingers crossed for pullets

Chick 1:

Chick 2:

Chick 3:

Chick 4 (It's a Silkie/Polish Cross):

I just wanted to send you an update to let you know "she" finally crowed :(

I am disappointed, but suspected as much! Thanks for the guess :)

I see what you're seeing that look similar to streamers I had a pullet with these so don't lose hope yet. In the picture of its posture it also seems to be standing like a pullet so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess an unusual little pullet.

Keep an eye out for squatting or practicing crowing and let me know if my out on a limb guess was right. Please thank you. Hope it really is a little pullet for you.

Last edited:
From eight hens I have discovered two roosters!! I am now worried the remaining four younger ones (about three months old as a guess) might be roosters too... What do people think?
One:
Two:
Three:
Fou
I have seven that look just like yours, and are 11 1/2 weeks old, and I can not tell for the life of me. Pretty soon I will know though based on their crowing or egg laying. I can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom