silkie sexing

Is it possible that my silkies all the sudden lose of balance could be from mites?? I am at a lose for my healthy chicken all the sudden being on her death bed! so I contacted my breeder for help had she asked me to send her a photo of her eyes when I did I notice white dust on her face then I noticed its moving

Best guess? Feather condition is pretty poor (this one of my rescue silkies I picked up last night. First to get their spa treatment.)

OK does anyone know If mites could be the cause of my silkie hens mysterious balance issues?? she all the sudden couldn't stand a few days ago she eats and drinks fine!! I got ahold of my breeder because I didn't know what to do she asked for a photo of her eyes!! I seen a bunch if white specks then I realized they where mites!!!

OK does anyone know If  mites could be the cause of my silkie hens  mysterious balance issues?? she all the sudden couldn't stand a few days ago she eats and drinks fine!! I got ahold of my breeder because I didn't know what to do she asked for a photo of her eyes!! I seen a bunch if white specks then I realized they where mites!!!

Balance issue could be from a vitamin deficiency, could be very possible that you have mites & something else going on. Mareks can also cause balance issues or even head injuries (silkies & polish are vulnerable to that because of their vaulted skulls).

Pullet? I'm thinking pullet :) she's about 4 months old! She has no name yet :\ any ideas?

Also, this is my other silkie hen. When I bought her, she was moulting. About 1.5 months after I had her, she ladies her first egg after her moult (9/27/16). And laid another the next day. She hasn't laid again since then. Any clue as to why? She's about a year old. Her name is fluff!!

Last edited:
Pullet? I'm thinking pullet
smile.png
she's about 4 months old! She has no name yet :\ any ideas?

Also, this is my other silkie hen. When I bought her, she was moulting. About 1.5 months after I had her, she ladies her first egg after her moult (9/27/16). And laid another the next day. She hasn't laid again since then. Any clue as to why? She's about a year old. Her name is fluff!!
Yes, I think the top one is female. The one who has stopped laying, is she sitting on the nest a lot? My silkies go broody every season and they stop laying for at least five weeks. If she is NOT sitting on the nest, check for a secret stash of eggs she may have hidden somewhere ;)

Yes, I think the top one is female. The one who has stopped laying, is she sitting on the nest a lot? My silkies go broody every season and they stop laying for at least five weeks. If she is NOT sitting on the nest, check for a secret stash of eggs she may have hidden somewhere ;)

She is not sitting, and no secret stash of eggs. There really isn't anywhere to hide them. So I don't know. Is it possible she is still moulting? I went out a little bit ago and she has new pin feathers on the back of her neck? She laid 2 eggs so I assumed the moult was over?

Oh, yes, if the pin feathers are still showing then it sounds like she's still moulting. Some occasionally will give an egg during, but the next egg may come only once her feathers are all fully back.

Back
Top Bottom