silkie sexing

Oh, yes, if the pin feathers are still showing then it sounds like she's still moulting. Some occasionally will give an egg during, but the next egg may come only once her feathers are all fully back. 

How long does moulting usually last? She was my first silkie so I'm new to them. (Have 5 now tho
1f602.png
). I bought her on 9/11. She was just less than a month away from her first birthday. She was moulting then.

Just looked at the dates as well, she laid sooner after we got her than I thought. Bought her 9/11, she laid 9/27 & 9/28

Last edited:
The moulting process can last anywhere from 2-6 months depending on the bird, their diet, and the weather. There is a feed that supposedly speeds up the feather re-growth, I think it's called Feather-fixer. I've never used it, but I'd love to hear if anyone has and what they thought of it. Mine are all in moult right now, actually.

The moulting process can last anywhere from 2-6 months depending on the bird, their diet, and the weather. There is a feed that supposedly speeds up the feather re-growth, I think it's called Feather-fixer. I've never used it, but I'd love to hear if anyone has and what they thought of it. Mine are all in moult right now, actually. 

I've seen that in tractor supply but didn't know if it actually worked. Maybe someone who has tried it will chime in and let us know if it worked!

I may purchase a bag tomorrow when I'm in town and give it a try! I have 2 silkie babies that are 4.5 weeks that I bought, but I want to hatch some of my own. I have a buff silkie rooster I want to breed her with.
1f601.png

Is anyone still looking at photos in this thread? I've been told Maggie is a she by a couple people and the breeder. I still have doubts. She makes some peeping noises still and like chatting cackling noises, this morning it sounded like she was either trying to practice an egg song already or well it could have been a rotten attempt at some sort of crow so now I'm worried :( lol

Very sweet bird.

Where the comb should be is flat dark grey-black nothing there at all, no wattle that I can find.

She will have to go back to her breeder if she is a he.

Looks like a pretty pullet

I've seen that in tractor supply but didn't know if it actually worked. Maybe someone who has tried it will chime in and let us know if it worked!

I may purchase a bag tomorrow when I'm in town and give it a try! I have 2 silkie babies that are 4.5 weeks that I bought, but I want to hatch some of my own. I have a buff silkie rooster I want to breed her with.
1f601.png
I've used it and it worked really well. It also helps with if they've been bullied and they lost a good bit of feathers.

Ok
I've used it and it worked really well. It also helps with if they've been bullied and they lost a good bit of feathers.

Ok thanks a lot! I will be getting some tomorrow for her! I wish I had known about it when I got my polish. She was bullied pretty bad when I first mixed her, had to sapwrate her again for a while while she healed (they tore open her neck). She's fine now :) she's one of my best layers as well and gets along with pretty much everyone :)

Ok

Ok thanks a lot! I will be getting some tomorrow for her! I wish I had known about it when I got my polish. She was bullied pretty bad when I first mixed her, had to sapwrate her again for a while while she healed (they tore open her neck). She's fine now :) she's one of my best layers as well and gets along with pretty much everyone :)

It happened to my buff Orpington even though she was the biggest chicken. For a while she would only be ok with my silkie rooster. Now she's a silkie(in her mind.)

Back
Top Bottom