silkie sexing

Pics
I have 5 silkies.. 2 that are 9 1/2 weeks old and 3 that are 7 1/2 weeks old.. I am guessing what i think is what but need help.. lol first year doing chickens.... So please tell me what you think.... thanks in advanced

This is my Grey Silkie, she is 9 1/2 week old... I think she may be a he

This is Tink, she is 9 1/2 weeks old.. I think she is a she...

This is my Black Silkie, she is 7 1/2 week old.. I think she is a she

This is one of my White Silkies, her name is Snow, she is 7 1/2 week old.. I think she is a she

This is my other White Silkie, she is 7 1/2 weeks old, i think she may be a he...

Last edited:
I'll have a go! Here is Dolly, she is 7 weeks old. No visible comb forming just yet...

Any guesses as to wether dolly is a he or a she??
(White feathers are difficult to photograph, so I'm hoping these are good enough :) )

Last edited:
I have 4 silkies that will be 6 wks on sun. 2 of them have combs that look like the black silkie at the very top of the page. One of them started turning red and they are the biggest of the 4. The other 2 have thin combs with the ill numbs going up the comb. The combs are black/grey in color. I tried to get pictures up but it won't let me. I figured I have 2 and 2, am I correct?

I believe he is a cockerel. He has a prominent comb (which doesn't mean it's a boy, I've seen plenty of pullets with some bigger combs), and even though I can't say if I see streamers for sure, it looks like he may have hackles coming in. My bet is on boy. The white is much too young to tell.

Well, the verdict is in!! I guess it IS really difficult to sex a silkie! Turns out Betty our splash silkie is a hen! She gave us her first egg today!! Obviously it's the tiny one:)

Last edited:
Ok I too have a few silkies I'd love your feed back on. The grey ones are all 6wks old and the little yellow are 3wks.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG] sorry it wouldn't let me post them all together

Last edited:
another group shot spike far right, loo center and pumpkin left. Spike use to try and nip at me when I would put my hand in there. Is that common in chickens? My first time also raising chickens

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom