silkie sexing

Pics

Better View of head =\

Well, as I said.. in the buffs it CAN be an indicator and that is really what we have to go on. Four weeks old is awfully young to be telling what sex they are though. I have some that are 4 months old Im not sure about yet! Do you have to have only hens or are you ok with a rooster ?

I'm okay with both. We're in the country, so no restrictions. I have nine silkies and three cochins that are still of undetermined gender, although one cochin has a big, red comb at four weeks old that just screams roo. We also have twenty-two pullets of various regular sized breeds whom the oldest silkies are housed with (nobody has serious problems, but I still wonder if they'll accept bantam-sized roosters in their coop or just laugh at them). If worst comes to worst and we have more roosters than can handle being together with the hens, we have the space to build a bachelor pad for them.

Last edited:
Shanadienne, I believe the first one is a pullet, but I don't know about showgirls.
A friend of mine thinks the same. Plus, Lister has finally stopped making chick noises and started "talking" like a hen. I only noticed today/yesterday. Roosters generally don't make the sounds she's making lately. Now I just have to decide whether to rename her...

The aforementioned friend believes the showgirl is male and I agree, although I'm not seeing any real behavioral/vocal clues. He doesn't make any adult chicken noises and has zero reaction when my booted bantam cockerel mates with the lone mature silkie.

This thread was super helpful!! I could tell at 10 weeks that my silkie was a roo because his hair went straight back instead of poofing up top.
At 12 weeks he starting crowing in the morning. Now he is 14 weeks and crowing all the time!
He also makes very different noises than my hens do so it was easy to tell.

Last edited:
This thread was super helpful!! I could tell at 10 weeks that my silkie was a roo because his hair went straight back instead of poofing up top.
At 12 weeks he starting crowing in the morning. Now he is 14 weeks and crowing all the time!
He also makes very different noises than my hens do so it was easy to tell.

And what a nice little fellow he is. Looks like my little ' Jaffa '.

Back
Top Bottom