silkie sexing

The black one is Elvis pictured at 4 mos ,maybe a cockerel , because of feather shape and the grey smooth is also 4 months here. The two silkies are Chewbacca the darker tan and lays but not least the " lavender" one is Valentina at 6 months. Two months later no eggs or crowing. They tend to hang out in pairs. The silkies, sleep in a pile on ground, the smooth sizzles climb a ladder to a roost and our odd partridge Cochin Ida sleeps in the hen house. Hopefully the pictures will work this time
Thanks for all thoughts.
Pattii

The black one is Elvis pictured at 4 mos ,maybe a cockerel , because of feather shape and the grey smooth is also 4 months here. The two silkies are Chewbacca the darker tan and lays but not least the " lavender" one is Valentina at 6 months. Two months later no eggs or crowing. They tend to hang out in pairs. The silkies, sleep in a pile on ground, the smooth sizzles climb a ladder to a roost and our odd partridge Cochin Ida sleeps in the hen house. Hopefully the pictures will work this time
Thanks for all thoughts.
Pattii
They all look like pullets to me including Elvis. Do you have any comb pictures?

I can't get very good pictures since I just got these chickens and they are a little afraid of people. I bought what I thought was 3 hens, but now I am not sure. =/ Can you tell me if he is a 'he' or a 'she'? They are about 4 months old. I haven't raised silkies before.
Few days late here, but just wanted to say that is one of the most beautiful chickens I've ever seen!! Gorgeous!! And yeah, he's definitely a he. On top of comb, hackles, stance and color, I see saddle feathers, which are irrefutably rooster. They didn't happen tell you what color he is "supposed" to be (or mixed with), did they?

Now I'm not sure if Jasper is a cockerel... Renee laid her egg for the day earlier (plus she's standard size while the rest of the chickens are banties). One of the banties laid an egg a little while ago, but now both Adria and Evelyn are in the nest boxes. I know Renee, Evelyn, and Adria are pullets and Leon is a cockerel, so that means either Adria or Evelyn is laying two eggs today, or Jasper is really a pullet...

I'm happy to say while raking tons of leaves we found two silkie eggs today! Yay! I will send some photos of their little combs, Tomorrow, the girls are all asleep.
Pattii

Thanks for all thoughts.
Pattii

Lol, I have a " Priscilla "

Our Elvis started out as Matilda, but as her crest kept growing she just made us think of Elvis more and more. So if Elvis was a chicken, I'm sure she is it!

is it still too soon??? I tried to wait 2 weeks minimum before posting again, but I think it's been 1. the first pic is from 2 days ago, during a dust bath, the rest are from today, during a sunbath. it was breezy, but it's top poof does have a flat spot or dip, where some of the poof is still pins, or just opening super fine feathers. the last pic is the tallest I've seen it stand - the roosters had all alarmed at the time of this pic... it's okay if you have to tell me I have to wait another month... or two. I just love this little blotch of white so much I like to show it off when I actually get decent pictures. I had posted a pic of my Cochin Broody Mama where the Silkie was in the background, and people asked me if I had snow! have to admit, it was an indistinguishable blob of white that did look like enough snow to make 2 snowballs...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom