silkie sexing

I'm happy to say while raking tons of leaves we found two silkie eggs today! Yay! I will send some photos of their little combs, Tomorrow, the girls are all asleep.
Pattii
Today my partridge Silkie pullet laid an egg for the first time!
celebrate.gif

Here's my pullet and the egg.
DSCN8153%5B1%5D.jpg

They both look like roosters to me.. I was so sure my silkie cockeral was going to be a hen that I named him Miss Jemima.
But, I know for sure he is a boy because he crowed for a long period of time, has a large comb, blue earlobes, tiny little spurs growing.
streamers, and he tried to mount my cochin bantam pullet. (she did not like that AT ALL) and for a period of time was scared and ran away from him. LOL
lau.gif

is it still too soon??? I tried to wait 2 weeks minimum before posting again, but I think it's been 1. the first pic is from 2 days ago, during a dust bath, the rest are from today, during a sunbath. it was breezy, but it's top poof does have a flat spot or dip, where some of the poof is still pins, or just opening super fine feathers. the last pic is the tallest I've seen it stand - the roosters had all alarmed at the time of this pic... it's okay if you have to tell me I have to wait another month... or two. I just love this little blotch of white so much I like to show it off when I actually get decent pictures. I had posted a pic of my Cochin Broody Mama where the Silkie was in the background, and people asked me if I had snow! have to admit, it was an indistinguishable blob of white that did look like enough snow to make 2 snowballs...

Well, boys or girls I don't know, but I hope mine end up that pretty
smile.png

thanks Jes! I don't really care either, I'm allowed roosters, and I have lots of them, but still have room for more. I'd of course, love it to be a pullet... looking for potential broody's for the future. such unusual birds.

They both look like roosters to me.. I was so sure my silkie cockeral was going to be a hen that I named him Miss Jemima.
But, I know for sure he is a boy because he crowed for a long period of time, has a large comb, blue earlobes, tiny little spurs growing.
streamers, and he tried to mount my cochin bantam pullet. (she did not like that AT ALL) and for a period of time was scared and ran away from him. LOL
lau.gif

Blue earlobes is not just for boys! All silkies SHOULD have blue earlobes.
wink.png

And all chickens have spurs, it's when they start gettin' bigger than the others that it indicates boy!

Streamers and crowing is definitely correct though!
lol.png

Gracey, Hen (lays eggs). Blue earlobes, despite being a simple hatchery chick. Hatchery silkies are always so random!

Sunflower, Pullet! Bright blue earlobes, was told show-quality by the breeder. She's got the whole fluffy ditzy thing going on too haha!

Willow, Rooster (they're blue, just a bit more faded since he got older), probably 'cause he's a hatchery chick too.
You can see his streamers too.

Albedo, Rooster. His are purple-y!
But he's not a good example of a silkie, only a good example of the randomness you get with silkies from hatcheries. :p
(he's aggressive too)

Back
Top Bottom