silkie sexing

The comb is above the beak and nose. The blue or turquoise are their ears on the side of their heads . Most silkies have blackish or what they call mulberry combs. However some silkies do have red combs but that is a disqualification if your showing because the standard is mulberry (blackish). In my flock I have one that turned out with a reddish comb as well but the others are mulberry color. Red combs are not the silkie standard of perfection. This only really matters if your showing. Any color silkie can turn up with a red comb. Not just the black ones. Mine is a buff female and she has the reddish comb.my other buffs all have mulberry color. I hope this helps. I've never seen a silkie with red ears? Are you seeing the red where the ears are? Or the comb? The ears would be on both sides of the head and are usually a blueish or turquoise color.

At first we thought it was a hen, then a rooster and now a hen again, we really don't know so now we are just calling it an "it" for a while it would fight with our other roo, but now whenever we let them out of their cages (they are in 2 separate cages) they hang out Away from the bigger chickens

ok I tried to get every angle I could, what do ya think? males, females, 1 of each?
They look too young, I would wait until they are 5 months old before any serious gender guesses can be made. But if I had to say, the buff looks like a pullet and the darker a cockerel, but of course this is just a guess. I would at least give it another month.

At first we thought it was a hen, then a rooster and now a hen again, we really don't know so now we are just calling it an "it" for a while it would fight with our other roo, but now whenever we let them out of their cages (they are in 2 separate cages) they hang out Away from the bigger chickens

I'm thinking cockerel, but how old is he?

They look too young, I would wait until they are 5 months old before any serious gender guesses can be made. But if I had to say, the buff looks like a pullet and the darker a cockerel, but of course this is just a guess. I would at least give it another month.
they are 7 weeks old now. I'm hoping your guess is right.
fl.gif

Is it normal for them to fight all the time, I don't thin it is real cause no damage is ever done, but dang they go at it all the time...

Last edited:
they are 7 weeks old now. I'm hoping your guess is right.
fl.gif

Is it normal for them to fight all the time, I don't thin it is real cause no damage is ever done, but dang they go at it all the time...

Unfortunately them fighting doesn't give anything away, I've had young cockerels fight, young pullets fight, and boys fight girls. It's just a dominance thing. I wouldn't worry about it because they're so young. If it progresses until they are adult birds though, I would get rid of one or the other. But I doubt that will happen, they are probably just at play right now.

Unfortunately them fighting doesn't give anything away, I've had young cockerels fight, young pullets fight, and boys fight girls. It's just a dominance thing. I wouldn't worry about it because they're so young. If it progresses until they are adult birds though, I would get rid of one or the other. But I doubt that will happen, they are probably just at play right now.
ok good, I was thinking it was just play right now, just didn't know if it was normal. Thanks for easing my mind.

Back
Top Bottom