silkie sexing

That is very neat. The one you feel may be a roo likes to perch on the top of the waterer pecking at my EE'ers..... meanie!

Sex?

Hi everyone! I'm new to BYC and to owning silkies, and I'm officially obsessed with them! I was under the impression that this silkie was a female, but now I'm second guessing myself. It's approximately 5 months old and a lot bigger than my others (not sure if they are from the same hatching). Very round crest, small comb, tail is slightly more elaborate than the buff (which I feel confident is female). Any thoughts on sex and color too would be greatly appreciated!
[/IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG]

This is my first post! Ive been reading the forums for awhile and used lots of helpful tips from this thread when hunting for my first silkies! I am so excited about my babies.

Well this is my sons chick (named Honda) and the 1 of 4 that I am thinking may be a rooster.

Any ideas? The top hairs make me think streamers but at 4 weeks old would streamers be developing? His/her comb seems long but there's no red. Too early to determine anything?

Last edited:
[/URL]

This is my first post! Ive been reading the forums for awhile and used lots of helpful tips from this thread when hunting for my first silkies! I am so excited about my babies.

Well this is my sons chick (named Honda) and the 1 of 4 that I am thinking may be a rooster.

Any ideas? The top hairs make me think streamers but at 4 weeks old would streamers be developing? His/her comb seems long but there's no red. Too early to determine anything?

Well I don't really see any streamers yet (silkies get some willddd fuzz up there!), and the comb looks way small, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet! Wait another four weeks and then post more pics ;)

Also, haven't posted pics of my babies in a while. Here's some pics to help any new posters of my babies growin' up ;)

Willow (hatchery boy)- he always stood tall like a roo LOL.

He's got that rooster face, but I was insistent he was a hen for the longest time..

Started to get streamers. Dx

And now here's my handsome boy now <3 He's a sweetie.

Albedo (hatchery boy), I was insistent that my sweet "Lily" was a girl, but they all said he was a boy because he was so noisy...

He's got that roo-face but I still didn't wanna accept it.

But at this point, it was obvious he is a roo.

and he started crowing this age.

And now he's a jerk LOL! But my baby still!
(He's with our egg-layer flock that has 4 red sex links, an australorp, an easter egger, and a barred rock. he fits in well and joined pretty easy!)

Here's Gracey (hatchery girl)- the person I got her from (a hatchery) did one of those pendulum tests, and said she was a girl.
(Albedo was the only one she got wrong LOL, but that test is definitely a "50/50 chance of getting it right.)

Her whole time growing up I was terrified she'd be a boy.

And everyone insisted she was because of those tail feathers and the way her head feathers kinda swooped back.

But now she lays us eggs!! (man, she looks awful without her beard/cheek fluff lol, I think she's molting, unless Sunflower is picking at her.)

Sunflower (breeder girl)! I got her from a breeder at 10 weeks. Well-bred silkies are always harder to sex but I was 99.9% sure she was a hen.

Barely any comb, pin feathers (not streamers), low stance..

And she most definitely is a hen- this is right around when she started laying.

She looks bad now because Willow humps her a lot and she needs a bath, but,

Also, haven't posted pics of my babies in a while. Here's some pics to help any new posters of my babies growin' up ;)
Willow (hatchery boy)- he always stood tall like a roo LOL.​
[COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]
He's got that rooster face, but I was insistent he was a hen for the longest time..​
[COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]
Started to get streamers. Dx​
And now here's my handsome boy now CENTER]
Albedo (hatchery boy), I was insistent that my sweet "Lily" was a girl, but they all said he was a boy because he was so noisy...​
He's got that roo-face but I still didn't wanna accept it.​
But at this point, it was obvious he is a roo.​
and he started crowing this age.​
And now he's a jerk LOL! But my baby still!​
(He's with our egg-layer flock that has 4 red sex links, an australorp, an easter egger, and a barred rock. he fits in well and joined pretty easy!)​
Here's Gracey (hatchery girl)- the person I got her from (a hatchery) did one of those pendulum tests, and said she was a girl.​
(Albedo was the only one she got wrong LOL, but that test is definitely a "50/50 chance of getting it right.)​
Her whole time growing up I was terrified she'd be a boy.​
And everyone insisted she was because of those tail feathers and the way her head feathers kinda swooped back.​
But now she lays us eggs!! (man, she looks awful without her beard/cheek fluff lol, I think she's molting, unless Sunflower is picking at her.)​
Sunflower (breeder girl)! I got her from a breeder at 10 weeks. Well-bred silkies are always harder to sex but I was 99.9% sure she was a hen.​
[COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]
Barely any comb, pin feathers (not streamers), low stance..​
[COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]
And she most definitely is a hen- this is right around when she started laying.​
She looks bad now because Willow humps her a lot and she needs a bath, but,​
I'm wondering at what age it was obvious Albedo was a roo? And such beautiful birds. I'm partial to the first! Thanks for sharing pics. It helps newbies like me!​

Hi all! Wondering if you could give me your opinion on my little ones.

Partridge 1

Partridge 2

White 1

White 2

White 3

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom