silkie sexing

I was just curious because I have three and they are all different in size, but still bantam sized. My smallest one appears to be a rooster! I would love a standard sized silkie I'd the existed!
1f600.png

They do exist in Europe, and I've seen one standard sized Silkie in the US. He looked like a LF Cochin sized hatchery quality Silkie. I still wish I'd have gave the sellers my $5 and taken him home, but I was at the very beginning of my chicken keeping adventure and didn't really know which breeds were supposed to be what. I think there are a few people in the US working on standard Silkies. At least I'd read that at some point, I think :oops:

I read of someone on BYC working on lf silkies, which would be super cool. We do have a white roo that is huge I think he would be great for a large fowl silkie project. They also have Swedish(think they're Swedish) hedamora chickens that can be silkie feathered that I would love some of.

They do exist in Europe, and I've seen one standard sized Silkie in the US. He looked like a LF Cochin sized hatchery quality Silkie. I still wish I'd have gave the sellers my $5 and taken him home, but I was at the very beginning of my chicken keeping adventure and didn't really know which breeds were supposed to be what. I think there are a few people in the US working on standard Silkies. At least I'd read that at some point, I think
hide.gif
Interesting .... I wonder if it is a case of breeding larger bantams to encourage the "big" gene .....

Okay ppl I have some pics of my silkies, they are about 5 months old. I thought maybe someone can help me with the sex and color. I have an idea of the sex/color but not I'm not positive.

These are my twins- I think they are both Splash females.

One of the same from above.

The chic on the left is the one in question. I think it's also a female but maybe black, the rooster is white. The right chicken is the mom.

I love how good of a dad/protector he is, even now.. He allowed them to jump on his back, play around him and huddle under him to stay warm
Hope these pic good enough

Agreed, they look like 2 splash pullets and a black or blue pullet to me. Some of my blues are really hard to tell apart from my blacks. They're so dark, the only way to tell they're blue is to breed them and see what color the chicks are (though that probably wouldn't work in your case because your roo is white).

Hi,
I have a question. I am including pics of one of my silkies I believed to be a pullet.(at least I hoped so)
I now am not sure. Looking at the top it looks like she/he may be growing the top and hackle feathers.
She/he is 11 weeks, so I assumed that the feathers were all in and I could count on the rest of this hatch to be girls!! Reason I say this is because we already had the 2 roosters out of the bunch start to crow about 3 weeks ago, and we separated them to another coop.
Anyone have any idea if I am right or wrong in assuming it's a she?
One thing you might want to do is click on the pictures to see the larger version. It is the white tips I am looking at, it looks as though there are new feathers coming in.

Any guesses on my 3? The biggest one, left foreground all white is about a week older than the other 2 paints. The paints are 5 weeks. I'm seeing male crests on the 2 paints.

Hi,
I have a question. I am including pics of one of my silkies I believed to be a pullet.(at least I hoped so)
I now am not sure. Looking at the top it looks like she/he may be growing the top and hackle feathers.
She/he is 11 weeks, so I assumed that the feathers were all in and I could count on the rest of this hatch to be girls!! Reason I say this is because we already had the 2 roosters out of the bunch start to crow about 3 weeks ago, and we separated them to another coop.
Anyone have any idea if I am right or wrong in assuming it's a she?
One thing you might want to do is click on the pictures to see the larger version. It is the white tips I am looking at, it looks as though there are new feathers coming in.
Hi, I'm no expert...but at this point, this looks like a girl to me. Unless those white tips suddenly shoot out the back....

All my roosters got these crazy wild shooters off the back of their head.
images

Back
Top Bottom