silkie sexing

This is my first time raising chickens. I have 2 beautiful buff orpingtons, Big Bird and Big Mama (definitely ladies) and 4 silkies that are 6-8 weeks old. I change my mind every day about what sex my silkies might be but overnight one of my girls, Marilyn, got a really red comb. Is she a he? I think that my other white one, Bowie, is going to end up a girl but I am also doubting my other 2 black ones, Princess Fiona and Nugget. I hope I don't end up with 3 rooster silkies out of 4! I can't have roosters where I live and I am already attached to all of them :love Anyways, I would love to know what you all think about my girls :) Here are some pics: Marilyn Bowie Nugget (the baby) Princess Fiona (and that's marilyn again next to her) I am on page like 70 out of 400 something reading this thread every night trying to sex my silkies so thank you all for your help! :weee
Right now im thinking Marilyn is the only one that looks like a cockerel.

Also, can anyone tell me why my black ones are multi-colored? The last one (Fiona) just started getting the light colors on her head recently, she was all black when she was little, and the other (nugget) was multicolored from the start.

The blue/gray is definitely a hen, I'm unsure about the other one, any idea?

I'm brand new to silkies, and just got these two today. I was told that they are about 5 weeks old. I'm wondering about guesses on sex, and also coloring. I'm guessing the one is a buff, but the other seems to have a lot of black mixed in as well. Help please!

Chick #1

Chick #2

I have 2 silkies in my mixed flock.. love them to pieces! They are 4.5 weeks, both the same size, and feathered out at about the same rate as my other heritage breeds (if that matters). Any idea of their sex? I was thinking the buff one might be male because of the head feathers, but then I read that you can't go by those feathers for sexing until around 4 months. I'm so confused..lol. also, what I the actual colour called of the "buff" one? Is it actually buff, or maybe partridge? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom