silkie sexing

5 months old hen or roo?

By the stance I would say rooster

Silkies he/she? I tried to find out on a different forum, no response, sorry to repeat. I have a white silkie (salt) and a blue (pepper). They both seem low to the ground. The white one I did notice had a little of red at the beginning on head then turned burgundy than dark. The blue no change. The crown hair just developing in last week. Got from craigslist from local farm (my daughter picked up). The age is hard to be-sure but estimating 15 weeks approximately. The still peep a lot. Since new to silkies not sure what sound they make when older.Thanks!

I'm no expert but your darker Silkie looks like a hen. Her tail looks rounded and poofy as does her head. My Silkies are much younger and their rooster feathers are very drastically shown in the way they droop downwards. You can also tell by their feathers around the flight feathers and tail, the cockerels will have spiky feathers almost like they're wet looking whereas the pullets will have round normal feathers. I did also experience some annoyance with people not responding to my posts, mine is probably buried deep down in this thread as well a two others.

Silkies he/she? I tried to find out on a different forum, no response, sorry to repeat. I have a white silkie (salt) and a blue (pepper). They both seem low to the ground. The white one I did notice had a little of red at the beginning on head then turned burgundy than dark. The blue no change. The crown hair just developing in last week. Got from craigslist from local farm (my daughter picked up). The age is hard to be-sure but estimating 15 weeks approximately. The still peep a lot. Since new to silkies not sure what sound they make when older.Thanks!
Mine are 16 weeks I know for a fact that I have one hen which your white one resembles so I'm going to say hen , do you have a better pic of her

Back
Top Bottom