Silkie started laying, what feed?

Thank you so much for all of this great advice!!! I think I will keep them on the starter feed, and offer them grit and oyster shell in separate bowls....in two days I have had two eggs! The eggs seemed very strong when cracking them...I incubated them this summer and they hatched in early July. View attachment 1990660View attachment 1990661View attachment 1990662View attachment 1990663
Cute birds. :love

My Silkies were decent layers usually 4-5 per week during the height of the season when not broody. :thumbsup

The lightest one is non bearded (female). The black one has a straight comb. Are those current pics? Which one lays the eggs? Which one is your suspected boy and why? :pop

Cute birds. :love

My Silkies were decent layers usually 4-5 per week during the height of the season when not broody. :thumbsup

The lightest one is non bearded (female). The black one has a straight comb. Are those current pics? Which one lays the eggs? Which one is your suspected boy and why? :pop
Hey! That is good to know! I didn't realize they laid so much! The light partridge one is a female for sure, she does the crouch down when you approach her....the other two (black partridge is my suspected male) and the other black I believe to be a female. I asked some advice on one of these message boards about the black ones and that was what the consensus was...haha if you think differently, I'd love to know!
We cracked the eggs and saw that one was fertilized...the other was not...so there is certainly a male in there....between the two black ones.

Hey! That is good to know! I didn't realize they laid so much! The light partridge one is a female for sure, she does the crouch down when you approach her....the other two (black partridge is my suspected male) and the other black I believe to be a female. I asked some advice on one of these message boards about the black ones and that was what the consensus was...haha if you think differently, I'd love to know!
We cracked the eggs and saw that one was fertilized...the other was not...so there is certainly a male in there....between the two black ones.
If either is male... I would agree the one you are calling black partridge... but would like to see more pics... side posed, standing natural.. showing crest and saddle feathers please. Have you ever seen any mounting, treat calling, wing drop mating shuffle behavior? It's easy to mistake fertile eggs, but it's possible... did you take a pic of the bulls-eye? I don't doubt you, just curios and always continuing to learn and practice honing my skills! :cool:

If either is male... I would agree the one you are calling black partridge... but would like to see more pics... side posed, standing natural.. showing crest and saddle feathers please. Have you ever seen any mounting, treat calling, wing drop mating shuffle behavior? It's easy to mistake fertile eggs, but it's possible... did you take a pic of the bulls-eye? I don't doubt you, just curios and always continuing to learn and practice honing my skills! :cool:

Thank you so much for offering to take a look!!! This is my first time having chickens, so it's been a big learning curve! I have not seen any "male" behavior and so far no crowing or streamers either. Here are a few more photos, I'd love to know what you think!

Attachments

• IMG_1028.jpeg
    IMG_1028.jpeg
    588.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1024.jpeg
    IMG_1024.jpeg
    572.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2060.jpeg
    IMG_2060.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 7.39.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 7.39.55 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Photo taken from google images.. see what a partridge Silkie rooster would look like for comparison.. Can you see the long flowing feathers and the red tones?
39292_watson.jpg

Another
images

I see what you're calling the bulls eye and agree that's what it looks like to me, though consider it one of my weak spots. It's been more than 10 years for me, but the learning about chickens never seems to end... which is what keeps it fun for me. It can be as simple or complicated as you want. :thumbsup

I don't see a cockerel in your bunch... which as unlikely as that is has happened to me on my first 3 Silkies. Could just be a late LATE bloomer. :confused:

Hoping it turns out to whichever is best for you and your flock! :fl

I agree with eggsighted4life i never feed mine layer it’s too low in protein. I keep my silkies on chick and turkey grower that is 22% protein, oyster shells on side, and keep treat to a minimum. They really are low production with all the broodiness I’m lucky if I get 12 eggs from a hen before she decides she’s going broody. I do switch to breeder pellets about 6 weeks before I collect eggs for hatching.

Photo taken from google images.. see what a partridge Silkie rooster would look like for comparison.. Can you see the long flowing feathers and the red tones?
39292_watson.jpg

Another
images

I see what you're calling the bulls eye and agree that's what it looks like to me, though consider it one of my weak spots. It's been more than 10 years for me, but the learning about chickens never seems to end... which is what keeps it fun for me. It can be as simple or complicated as you want. :thumbsup

I don't see a cockerel in your bunch... which as unlikely as that is has happened to me on my first 3 Silkies. Could just be a late LATE bloomer. :confused:

Hoping it turns out to whichever is best for you and your flock! :fl
Thanks so much! We are just happy to have them, whatever gender they turn out to be! Thanks for taking a look at them and for you expertise!!!

Back
Top Bottom