Silkie thread!

Quote:
Hopefully i do but its not lookin like it and ya i love him he's my fav but i love all my birds and in canada we have full crest ones but this one is non berderd

His type is wrong for a slke--he is much too long and slender. Silkies should be roly poly volleyballs. Short back, wide body, very curvy. Yours has a lovey tail that is nice and wide (and long tail feathers), but unfortunately, the rest of him is not. Even for a non-bearded, he is lacking in crest. I like the statement that he looks like a well-loved member of the family
smile.png
He is in beautiful condition, and that says much more about your care of him than anything about his "quality" ever could.

could u plzz post some male and female silkies that are show quality

Quote:
Ok, so they have to inherit that gene from both parents? I'm still confused.... Should I not put these chicks in my breeding group? I am just setting up my initial flock and still trying to figure out all this genetics stuff. I've read a lot about color, toes, black skin ect...... But never thought about a silkie with a single comb! That is not something that I want popping up in my chicks. What are your thoughts? Would you add them to your breeder flock? (btw, the are beautiful bbs babies)

Yes, almost all genes are inherited from both parents. The few that are inherited from only one parent are sex-linked genes. THe common ones are barring, choc and silver/gold. For these genes, males inherit from both parents, females only from their father.

As to whether or not to use them in breeding, there is no clear-cut answer. Single comb is recessive to pea and rose (I could get technical and confues everyone, including myself and say it is epistatic, but I will try to keep it simple). If bred to a correctly combed bird, a good percentage of the offspring should have the correct combs. Even after you have corrected the issue in your breeders, you will still have the occasional single combed bird hatch out.

Combs and toes are relatively easy to deal with. Lack of type is much harder to correct. Wry tail is another nightmare you do not want to deal with. All that said, you pick the best you have, or acquire better if it is available. Some people have easy access to better quIality birds--either because they can afford them or happen to live near breeders with good quality birds are, or they have a large enough flock that they can be picky. And others have limited funds or availability to other breeders, and must make the best with what they can acquire.

I want to grab your genetic expertise, Sonoran. I have a really nice partridge pullet that has a bent beak. It is not a cross beak as upper and lower are both bent. My thinking is this is likely an in the shell position. Would you cull her or give her a chance in the breeding shed while carefully monitoring her off-spring?

sager:)silkies :

Quote:
His type is wrong for a slke--he is much too long and slender. Silkies should be roly poly volleyballs. Short back, wide body, very curvy. Yours has a lovey tail that is nice and wide (and long tail feathers), but unfortunately, the rest of him is not. Even for a non-bearded, he is lacking in crest. I like the statement that he looks like a well-loved member of the family
smile.png
He is in beautiful condition, and that says much more about your care of him than anything about his "quality" ever could.

could u plzz post some male and female silkies that are show quality​

SQ Splash Cock
20866_dscn2284.jpg

20866_dscn2289.jpg

SQ Hens With a Splash Cock in the background
20866_dscn2316.jpg

SQ Hens
20866_dscn3258.jpg

20866_dscn3255.jpg

Quote:
I would soak his feet in warm soapy water for a few minutes then put some oil, bag balm, or Vaseline on his legs. It's hard to tell from the picture what it really is though.

Has anyone marketed extra silkies as meat birds in ethnic circles? How about the eggs? I have read both are regarded as having health benefits. If so I would love to hear how you did it.

Beth G. :

Wow Absolutely Gorgeous!!!
droolin.gif

Brody's Broodello :

Thanks Beth, the best part is that they are all my breeding for several gens. I've worked hard to get a particular look in our birds over the years.​

Back
Top Bottom