Silkie thread!

When I offer cooked egg or meal worms form extra protein the roosters will call the hens over to eat and they stand behind or next to them while they eat.

hokankai .... were you able to see how I had used the doughnut for my girl?

I do not have flock raiser available where I live so my only option is to mix layer & non-medicated chick starter together and a side of knockout. I have roosters, layers, broodies & chicks together and it has done well for me. I am not saying this is the best way but I have had no problems and n other options at this point.. I have not needed to add oyster shell as a side since starting to add the knockout to their diet in addition to the crumbles. My girls shells have been nice & strong and I have had no health issues with the boys at all.

Yes I saw it! I just made one and he seems to enjoy it. I may need a thicker towel though as he's a pretty big boy.

I saw that about the calcium and that's a very easy fix. I'll just switch them over. There are chicks in that coop now, is it ok for him to have Chick starter since that will be in there?

He did have a runny poop this morning (the first I've seen since this started), and his urates look normal so I know he doesn't have renal disease. They've only had layer feed in there for 6 months maybe?

Last edited:
Yes I saw it! I just made one and he seems to enjoy it. I may need a thicker towel though as he's a pretty big boy.

I saw that about the calcium and that's a very easy fix. I'll just switch them over. There are chicks in that coop now, is it ok for him to have Chick starter since that will be in there?

He did have a runny poop this morning (the first I've seen since this started), and his urates look normal so I know he doesn't have renal disease. They've only had layer feed in there for 6 months maybe?

Oh Good! Sounds like you may need a beach towel!
wink.png

I use breeder pellets and offer separate cups of regular grit and oyster shell my roosters are in with the girls.
Oh, okay-- nothing special then. I have oyster shell out separately. Sounds like we're all pretty much doing the same thing.
wink.png
I have not noticed my roosters eating the oyster shell, either.

I really doubt that layer feed has made him this sick. There must be something else going on, perhaps a virus if it's not parasites. If he continues to have loose poop, do give him the probiotics I suggested. That will help restore the natural flora in his digestive tract and give him extra vitamins that he could be lacking.

He has been "down" for 3 days now and I noticed he stopped roosting about 3 weeks ago. It only accelerated quickly within the last week from being a little wobbly to being down on his legs.

I sat and watched him in the coop today and he wobbles back and forth and kind of scoots his legs lick he wants to walk, but he can't hold himself up. He was also shaking his head quite a bit but I can't tell if that's because he keeps getting shavings in his face, he's having trouble preening, or if that's a symptom as well.

No obvious signs of injury, he only lives with one hen, and those are the only symptoms I noticed. He crows from his spot and is eating and drinking ok, but has been less interested since his only coopmate has been sitting on eggs for the past 18 days. He flaps his wings and from what I can tell they don't look droopy aside from the normal "blech it's hot" stance. Poop looked normal as well.
The symptoms you describe fit Mereks Disease. The limping, then the bird lays down, looking like its stretching its legs out to the side trying to get up. Eventually the bird dies because it cannot move to eat or drink. If it is Mereks, then you will probably have more birds fit the symptoms. Sometimes birds just go down like that and it isn't Mereks and no other birds present with symptoms.
I would isolate him from your other birds. If you hand feed him, it will prolong his life, but is it worth it? And if it is Mereks, you might be subjecting the rest of your flock to it.
Usually birds that get this are around 3 to 4 months old. Its not pleasant. And of course, it always is one of your best or favorite chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom