Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. skyl3r

skyl3r Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    Onalaska, Texas
    My Coop
    ok, my silkie peeps, I have decided to ask y'all a not-so-silkie question. I have posted my question in "another" more appropriate thread a few times...and apparently there is a little "group" of people that are not interested in talking to new people. They did tell me right away, that the photo I posted was NOT a silver laced cochin, that it was just black. So posted more pics, because I was trying to figure out what this little girl is. Since then, I can't quite figure out why they just won't respond...if they don't know, they could say..."i don't have any idea". Anyways, this silkie thread has the nicest people on BYC.

So I got my supposed "silver laced cochin" out for more pics. She came from Ideal, and the paperwork says Silver Laced, but after I have looked, I have decided that many other silver laced chicks look NOTHING like my girl. The little girl wasn't too excited about showing off her wings ;) Hope these help. I have no idea what this is. There are little white streaks here and there on the shaft of her feathers. Then on the wings some look kinda painted or splashed??, but some are speckled with brown/beige too?? Let me know what you think! Any opinions are appreciated!

Here is the little white feather shaft things (sorry if my anatomy is incorrect)
    [​IMG]

Left wing with the splashed areas on feathers, then the inner feathers have brown speckled areas.
    [​IMG]

Slightly out of focus (my silkie was confusing the camera). Here you can see the little brown black speckled parts.
    [​IMG]

2. SilverSilkie

SilverSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Sky, single laced is a much more complicated pattern than you should immagine going only by the name ! It comes in 2 different varieties. One on eb/eb (Asiatic Partridge) = Black-tailed single laced as on Wyandottes, the other is on ER/ER (Birchen) = patterned-tailed as on Sebrights. They can be based on Silver or on gold. The pattern is formed by the "combinations" of 3 genes Co, Pg and Ml. These 3 genes inherit in a special way called "crossing over". This must be completely "linked" in pure delineated to obtain pure single lacing => Co/Co, db+-Pg-Ml//db+-Pg-Ml.
    This being said, your chick can be a perfect or less perfect Silver single laced, you will know after it have changed his juvenile feathers for the adult feathers.

3. skyl3r

skyl3r Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    Onalaska, Texas
    My Coop
    Thank you! See that was a VERY educated answer to my simple question. I love my silkie folks ;) I truly appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

4. SilverSilkie

My pleasure, if you are interested I made a basic genetic guide (it's in Italiano) it contain 1000's photos so most explain itself.
    Look on this link : https://sites.google.com/site/colorgenesandfeathers/#TOC-Combinazioni-tra-geni and scroll ;-)

5. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

6. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA

7. SilverSilkie

At the top there is the summary, it go from 1 to 12. Completely in logical order (my logic :)
    Could also be said in a few words : E-locus => S-locus => the rest ;-)

8. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll give it a try! ;-)

9. SilverSilkie

Thanks. In my opinion the most beautiful language in the world. In a few weeks I go back to Italy and also to Firenze.

10. Sanna

Sanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Cute! [​IMG] Out like a light. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by