Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. SilverSilkie

SilverSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

haha and I tough I was the nestor here ;-)

2. Fancy Feathers

Fancy Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    I don't know what color the chick is, but that MF hen is gorgeous [​IMG]

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Hi everyone. I've just hatched out a bunch of chicks from my blue sizzle roo and white silkie hen. At first I thought there were blue and black chicks, but after watching more of them hatch I think even the ones I think are black are blue too. They look blue, not black at hatch then get darker and look black as they dry. Could they all be blue?
    Daddy Babies
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe you have some black and some blue. Real cuties!!

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Thanks. I'm keeping quite a few, so I'll know for sure once they get some feathers. I was hoping since the sizzle is from mixed colors I think and the hen was white I'd get some neat colors/patterns and was surprised when they all came out looking about the same. [​IMG] Is there any chance new colors will pop up besides splash if I keep a blue pullet and breed it back to the roo?

6. peepblessed

I'm not the best person to ask, but I think you'd have a better chance of interesting colors by breeding a baby back to the white because white has hiden colors..

7. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    I was wondering if anyone could share some tips on how to get her feathers looking good again, in the shortest amount of time? Here is a pic: [​IMG]

8. peepblessed

Other than the two that have tips missing, these look like normal silkie wing feathers to me. Those tips won't change till the feather falls out and is replaced. I feed plenty of protein, sun flower seeds and flaxseed for good feathering and provide good dusting areas with DE in them which keeps feathers clean and fluffy.

9. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Thanks! [​IMG]

10. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Dolly babies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by