Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

2. SilkieSilk

SilkieSilk Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2012
    Aww, all of these Silkies are gorgeous!
    I just got my very first Silkie, he/she is about a week old..
    I don't know if it's a pullet or a roo, but I'm hoping for a pullet. [​IMG]

The gender doesn't matter, but still, I hope to show my beauty.

Right now I'm thinking of calling it Lavender if it's a she,
    or Flames if it's a he. [​IMG]

3. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sanna, I was so surprised because I had ordered BBS eggs from a nice breeder. I had all BBS chick colors hatch except one. (BBS-- blue/black/splash) That one chick was a partridge! I was totally in shock that I got a partridge out of BBS eggs. So I thought it was kind of a funny-- to show the picture of my little one and only partridge. Here I was thinking it took some kind of miracle of genes to give me a partridge out of a BBS pen where these birds breed true. Later.... the breeder let me in on the 'joke' when I emailed her a picture of my surprise baby-- she said she might have put in a couple of extra Blue Partridge eggs in there from her other pen. Except that all my eggs were marked S (which is her way of saying BBS)-- and I didn't get any extras-- I got exactly the number I ordered. So likely that egg was put in my BBS shipment from her Partridge pen--- but still, I'm pondering the thought... what if it wasn't? LOL!! I didn't mean to confuse anyone, I just thought it was kind of funny!

Gorgeous!!!

4. Hawkeye95

Okay--- here is my lame humor in play.... I keep humming that Sesame Street song "one of these things is not like the other, one of these things doesn't belong!" Right there in the middle-- my surprise Partridge. I was dreaming up all kinds of reasons why it might have hatched from my BBS eggs.. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. BackyardBreeder

BackyardBreeder Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    Does anyone on here have any Standard Silkies? I am searching DESPERATELY for some non-mix eggs.

6. Hawkeye95

Are you talking about large-fowl silkies? As far as I know, you can not find those in the US. US silkies are Bantam. What do you mean by non-mix..?? Are you talking about non-bearded? There are a lot of very nice hatching eggs sold on the for sale section-- just search for silkie and the color and type you are looking for, like bearded white, or whatever the case may be. Most people post pictures of the parent birds so you can get an idea of what you might get.

7. skyl3r

skyl3r Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    Onalaska, Texas
    My Coop

I love this guy, awesome color!

8. BackyardBreeder

BackyardBreeder Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012

9. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Ok, so it means she hasautosomal buf in her...If I breed her to a white rooster, then I will not get pure white? I'm too old to figure this stuff! LOL
    I took a good look at her today, and the buff has spread up and down , so she has some buff in her beard, breast, and I think some on her wings...or they could be dirty, but I think its buff...
    Since she isn't a pure white, should I cull her, or what? the only other colors I have are bbs, buff & partridge.

10. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Hahaha!! Perfect song! Great picture!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by