Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

They have them in Canada and Europe and Australia.

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

All silkies in the US will be bantam, there are no "large" silkies that I know of. (Europe has a large fowl version, but even at that, they are not huge) Silkies in general are not tiny birds at that, so don't be put off by the Bantam classification. They are just a lot smaller than a large fowl bird, though.
    ***Edited to Add-- I am used to game bird and very small bantams-- so my comparison of Silkies to them is what I'm talking about.. Don't get me wrong, Silkies ARE small, just not tiny.

Check here for possible egg sales that might meet your criteria: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/36/chicken-hatching-eggs

Paints are a project color right now, they do NOT breed true. So just because you buy Paint hatching eggs does not mean you will get paints. You might get everything but a Paint. It is not a standard color or approved color. This is not something you will find in the SOP, so there is no guidelines for them. (yet) But there are a lot of people working on this project. You could show them under AOV, if your local poultry show is permitting that. The last show I was at did not.

You also mentioned Buff-- that is a very well established color and you should not have any trouble locating Buff colored hatching eggs.

Bearded is the most common type of silkie. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  3. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    in canada there is no large fowl silkies that i know of but silkies arent really small they arent big but not small

4. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry Zack! I don't know where I got that idea!

5. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

6. BackyardBreeder

BackyardBreeder Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    I am going to purchase some asst. silkie eggs and set them under my 2 broodies. (one BPR bantam, one BA Standard) I had 3 silkie chicks, 2 black 1 buff whom I promptly named Cookie. Any advice on raising Silkies? I am gonna need it! [​IMG]

7. BackyardBreeder

BackyardBreeder Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    This will be my first ever attempt at hatching eggs. I have raised about 50 various chickens from chicks to adults.

8. TheChicknGarden

TheChicknGarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    san antonio, texas
    Sad times...Exchanged my two roos...was gonna get a pair of silkies but the lack of a selection made me hesitate... Did bring home two white crested polish top hats.... Creme & brulee... And even though they are cute as can be.....i miss my silkies....:( just not the same... By husband is fond of them. He likes variety. ::sigh:: now just got two silkies cupcake & muffin...and a halfsy nugget who i am trying to stop from being broody since ive had no luck finding eggs near by.
    Double sigh going thru silkie withdrawals which im sure some of you understand...:/

9. sager:)silkies

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    or u could probley make them if u breed ur bigest silkies and keep breeding the big ones

10. sager:)silkies

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    its ok no need to apologize

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by