Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I would mainly suggest getting one that has a fan and be sure you test the thermometer. If you can afford one that has good visibility you will be much happier!!

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    So I'm culling of my silkie flock, to keep the ones that are going to good in show...Opinions?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you see any immediate faults let me know, I already have a rough idea of the ones that are good but show silkies are new to me. I'm keeping my three babies, the mom and her baby, a partridge buff, a grey, a splash and a black...if they will do well in the rink.

3. peepblessed

Looks like you have some really pretty girls there! Unfortunately you can't evaluate a bird with a picture or two. Your buff is really pretty but has quite a bit of dark in her feathering and her wing looks a bit loose. Also you don't say what age they are. That makes a big difference in evaluation. Hope this helps. :D

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA

5. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA

6. peepblessed

She sure is nice. Does she have blue in her crest or is that just the lighting? She will likely fill out some. She could use more cushion and it looks like her crest is still filling in. I'd love to see photos of her in a couple of months.

7. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  8. TheChicknGarden

TheChicknGarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    san antonio, texas
    Question: when you all started incubating.. How many eggs did you start off with...?
    Saddly i had to rehome my ducks cause my drake was trying to mate my chickens...and didnt want anyone getting hurt, nor do i have the space to separate or add more girl ducks... So i had to do what was best for everyone...
    but now my husband says if i want i can hatch eggs ... Just dont know how many to start off with... Trying to find some close by.... Struggling abit.... But keeping my fingers crossed...

9. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Oh you dont want to know. LOL But that was with a home made one. Then i bought one and i have had somewhat better success but not much. My best hatch is 8 out of 20 of my own eggs. Mind you you will get dif hatch rates if they are shipped or if you pick them up, How old the eggs are and all that. I know alot of people say with shipped, hop for half but expect 1/3 hatch. It also depends on the bator you have or get.

10. TheChicknGarden

TheChicknGarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    san antonio, texas

Yeah i really worry about shipping... Its been really hot her lately and then my po is super lame lately... Really hoping to be able to drive myself and pick up... I found a few possiblities thru craigslist just waiting on response.... Was thinking just 6....but then i thought maybe A dozen... That 6 would be to little especialy if one one ended up hatching...Cant really count your chickens before eggs hatch...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by