Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. KMHunter

KMHunter [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Cr

Jun 12, 2009
    Woodinville,WA
    My Coop
    Here are a few pics of my new babies! Not great photos but they are from my phone. Lol![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The next two are the twins and still working on their fluff. But they have vaulted heads so I hope they do fluff up really as they get bigger!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think they look almost exactly the same except the size of their vaults.

I am going to set more silkie eggs and some Faverolle eggs on Monday! This is addiction at it's best.

2. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Eggs are here!! I am a nervous wreck!!

3. GoldBarRanch

GoldBarRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
  4. GoldBarRanch

GoldBarRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Cuteness ! hey are your painted quail like this? Id love to have some if its the same ones.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  5. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Your babies are beautiful!! Have fun! [​IMG]

6. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas

7. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm using the Brinsea Octagon Eco 20. It isn't very expensive, and it holds temp and humidity VERY well. In fact, after you lift the lid, it goes right back quickly. Humidity is easy to spike during hatch. I throw in sopping wet (warm) paper towels and that drives up the humidity to around 74% or so. You don't have to lift the lid to turn them, either. You simply tilt the entire machine-- easy!! That way your temps stay more stable. It's a very easy machine. But don't trust the little thermometer it comes with. Buy your own!

http://www.brinsea.com/products/octagon20eco.htm <---- this is the link to the machine I bought. It is regularly $129.99. BUT-- don't pay that!! Go to Brinsea's Facebook page and wait for them to post a coupon code for 10% off here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brinsea-Products-Inc/140621339296778

THEN-- when you know you are going to buy it, go and sign up for their free Newsletter at the top of their Facebook page and they will email you another coupon code!! Use the two of those together to buy your machine! That code only lasts a few days, so don't sign up until you are ready to buy it.

ETA: they just posted a coupon code on their FB page.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  8. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't they feel like precious treasure!?

9. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    They sure do! And because it is my first hatch I am so worried I am going to botch it!!

10. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't load them the first day you get them!! Candle them now and check their air sacs. Most likely they are loose, and if that is the case, do NOT candle them again until after Day 10 of incubation to cut down on movement. Let the eggs sit all day long with the pointy ends down so that the air will collect up at the top and they have a chance to "settle". Then, tomorrow load them. I've jumped the gun before on shipped eggs, and every time I do, I have a ZERO hatch when I try to load them the same day I get them. I had 7 out of 12 hatch on this last go around and i let them sit for almost 2 days before I loaded them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by