1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    That was my plan! I am going to load them probably tomorrow night or Sun am. What am I looking for when I candle them? How do I tell if the air sac is loose?

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would candle them now so you know what you are dealing with. Then don't touch them again-- except to load them. Grab an egg out of your fridge for a good example of what an air sac should look like. It should be at the top and stable. When you tilt the egg side to side, it should not move at all. Shipped eggs usually have detached air cells. They are fine, so long as they have a chance to rise to the top and settle. They won't ever "attach" back again, but should become stable by the middle of incubation. Some of my eggs had all the air cells shook right out of them-- no air at the top at all. After two days, mine were back at the top again and fine. I even had chicks hatch out of those eggs. They just need a chance to rise. You should just know what you are starting with so you know what to look for later on. Mark anything in pencil that is not good (but go ahead and incubate--it's a learning experience!). Also, look for hairline cracks, just in case.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  3. GoldBarRanch

GoldBarRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    she looksSQ to me but maybe the exsperts will chime in. Id use her in a breeding program , what a cutie

4. GoldBarRanch

Apr 21, 2012
    My neighbor hatches quail and now uses high humidity with great success . theyre shells seem a little harder then chicken eggs

5. GoldBarRanch

Apr 21, 2012
    Just wait until you see them sunbath, looks like they are having a seizer. [​IMG]

6. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Having great fun with my new chicks today. These two are so fun to watch I took them out for a photo shoot (porcelain & lav). :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. GoldBarRanch

Apr 21, 2012
    I love all your birds , just beautiful , thanks for sharing

8. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

9. GoldBarRanch

Apr 21, 2012
    I really love this blue color and have been looking for some, can you show me pictures of the other colors as well

10. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by