Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    i go with boy by the way his face looks and i can see rust

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like streamers on the head shot along with what Zack said. He seems to have nice wings but seems a bit underdeveloped for 6 mths. My roo was that way also so I would give him some more time to see how he develops.

3. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful! and yes I agree its a boy

Why I say this :
    The male rust color, the face/beak, the comb looks to be swelling, the crest shape/size is boyish, the entire stance and body carriage at this age is indicative of a roo.

4. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    his colour seems to look like an older verson of my chick dose the origianl poster have any pics of hime around 2-3 months

5. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok I have a some questions. This is Nugget, I've posted pic of him/her before. Nugget is just over 4 months now. To the eye there is no red in the comb but there are weird little bumpy reddish wattles. Just wondering what you think if Nugget is a he or she? I know it's still early as far as Silkies go. I don't care if I have a Roo. Nugget would be my only Rooster.

Also Nugget will not go into the coop at night. I have to put him/her in there every night so the poor little baby doesn't get cold. Sometimes I don't get home until 2am and at that time I'm sooo tired I forget to put Nugget in the coop. I'm worried I'll wake up to a dead Nugget because I forgot. I'm not sure why Nugget won't climb the ramp. How wide should I make the ramp? Could that be an issue? Food going up the ramp hasn't worked. lol I also don't have a light in the coop. The coop stays warm that's why I haven't put one in there. Any suggestions would be great.

Here some pics- (Nugget got a little trim and bath. lol)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. peepblessed

Pretty big comb for 4 months. Likely a roo. You might try a solar yard light in the coop. My silkies won't go in a dark coop unless they are trained with a light. How high does the ramp go? Many silkies don't like to go up very high.

7. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, I've been thinking Roo. Nugget also likes to tell our pullet BR who is bigger then him what too do. LOL Silly Nugget! I'm also noticing what I think are streamer coming of the puff on top of his head. That is typical of males right?

The top of the ramp is about 15 inches high, 2.5ft long and 8 inches wide. I've seen higher ramps with other Silkies. I'll try the light thing. That's what I've been thinking maybe he doesn't like being in the dark. I always find him under the ramp after all the others have gone inside. I think I'll make the ramp wider as well. Thanks for your help. It's much appreciated!

8. peepblessed

I thought he might have streamers but wet I wasn't sure. If the light doesn't work a wider ramp might but the light has worked well for me. :)

9. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA

10. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Abominable snowman or Elliot crowing??? You be the judge .... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by