Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a small flock of brahmas and I raise silkies...Are you talking about bantam brahmas or large fowl? if large fowl then I would not house them together, my brahmas will pick on younger silkies, adult mature silkie hens can assert themselves and try to whoop the brahmas but as youngsters and as a new comer in a flock I would not suggest it. If it were the other way around (silkies first then brahmas or if they were all raised together) I wouldn't see a problem at all.

2. ScaredOfShadows

[​IMG]

3. ThaiChick

ThaiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    STL, Missouri

I experienced that just today! My little silk ie flock was so into their treat that their dos were pink!

4. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Beautiful Jessy! Who is this?

5. ThaiChick

ThaiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    STL, Missouri

I do not currently house my silkies with my flock. They are about 9 weeks old now. I do however allow everyone to free range together. They are all very cliquey. The large fowl and my other two bantams act like the silkies are invisible.

6. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State

Thank you so much for all the information! I wil make note of all this and keep it in mind for future flock additions. (yes, I am a victim of mild chicken math)

Since I only have two Brahmas, I wonder if they would pose less of an injury risk to the Silkies.

Anyway, thank you all so much! This has been very helpful!

7. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Hi! Thanks for the replies!

They are LF Brahmas, and I have two of them. They are 10 weeks and both pullets. (hopefully :D) It makes sense to separate them until full grown. I'm curious, at what age would you put them together with LF Brahmas?

Thanks again!

8. GoldBarRanch

GoldBarRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Caught the chicks dust bathing

9. 3ChickensinNC

3ChickensinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    on the coast
    BEAUTIFUL! !! I need to pm you about any available teenagers or adults you plan on selling. I will be at WCA on June 10 Didbyou make it a few weeks ago?th.

10. ScaredOfShadows

This is one of my Showboat Partridge got them last month from Pennie in WI, he/she (this one I'm still not sure about but thinking boy) does not have a name yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by