Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Light blue youngster (yes blue not lavender)

[​IMG]
    Flashy red partridge boy

[​IMG]

My fave Partridge pullet - Nutmeg - who is from Pennie Urban of Showboat Silkies

[​IMG]

Jonah and most of his harem of ladies

[​IMG]
    And of course that big piece of eye candy Sherbert
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Pretty flock!!

I have a question about gold leakage in Whites. At first I was thinking that this leakage was caused by feeding scratch to them in the winter. I call it "Chicken Crack" around here, and have to watch myself at the feed store asking for Crack! [​IMG] Anyway, they haven't had any since the end of February, so either it is still in the feathers as they haven't yet had their adult molt, or it is some sort of leakage? It only appears in the hackle area on both the roo and hen, and I have nothing else to go by, as these are my only two adult Whites right now. I'm not sure if my camera will pick the color up, it is very subtle, but I will try later today. Does anyone have a White roo or hen with gold hackles?? The closest thing to a White that I have other than these two, is a Splash, and she does not express the gold at all. This color kind of puts me to mind of a Palamino horse, but in reverse. Any thoughts?

3. Adriennesmom

Adriennesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    Monterey, California
    Thank you so much, chicknfun! That is really intereting. I have never heard of the beak theory in determining gender. I will be absolutely thrilled if my chick are both hens![​IMG]I will post updates as they grow. Thanks again!!

4. Adriennesmom

Dec 14, 2011
    Monterey, California
    I absolutely LOVE this picture[​IMG]. How adorable!!

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

If its YELLOW then it sounds like sun burning or discoloration from the high corn diet

if its an actual goldish-red then its leakage

6. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    They are all beautiful Jessy! And any time you get tired of looking at that pretty blue..... :)

7. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    It is more of a golden yellow, I'm not seeing any reddish coloring to it. Their pen is in the shade for the better part of the day, and the scratch was only fed as a treat, not a main staple, in the winter months. My first thought was it was from the scratch, and the coloring was just still in the feathers, but why would the yellowing only show in the hackle area? Wouldn't the rest of the feathering have a yellowish cast to it too? They are brilliant white, except in the hackles. [​IMG]

8. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  9. Adriennesmom

Dec 14, 2011
    Monterey, California
    They are all so beautiful!! I love the blue pullet[​IMG]. What an amazing color!

10. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Well in the evenings he is always in the same place tucked under the ramp against the coop. I'll see about making the ramp longer. He comes down it just fine, it's the going up part he just won't do... siiigh I'll definitely put a light in there which we had intended on doing we just didn't want to put the heat lamp in since some night it's ridiculously hot. I'll just get maybe a lower watt painted bulb for it. He must still be mad about his bath time yesterday because he won't come near me at all today. LOL I had to corner him to get some morning snuggles. LOL

Here is Nugget with 3 of my Pullets.
    [​IMG]

Nugget strutting his stuff. LOL
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by