Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Meredith MMH

Meredith MMH Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    Dorset, in the UK
    I bought two silkies at the weekend at an auction, they were being sold as black but I think they are a dark chocolate, is that a colour in silkies? I have a gold cockerel, what do you think I would get if I incubated some of their eggs?

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Such awesome birds, Jessy!! That Nutmeg is awesome and of course you already know I love Sherbert! He is changing color all the time!

3. peepblessed

Chocolate is not a recognized color but some people are trying to breed that color. Your black may be sun bleached. The cross will likely give you black chicks which may develop some gold leakage in the hackles.

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

See... I don't think Sherbert is really that color... There is NO WAY a chicken can look that AWESOME naturally. I think you dye him to make us all jealous of you. Yup. I refuse to believe otherwise. Nope. Not possible...

Good think I do not know where you are, Or I'd have to go and steal Sherbert and leave you with some cheesy knock off!

Your other silkies are very very lovely too. Especially your red partridge. WOW! Just WOW!

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    [​IMG]

6. peepblessed

When you are new it takes a while before the let you do everything. Just keep posting notes and trying to post pictures again. I think you need about 20 posts before you can post picutres or use the auction. Hope this helps!

1 person likes this.
  7. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA

8. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

LMAO theres silkie peeps who have seen Sherbert for real ;) and seen him grow up so I have witnesses!!!!!!!

9. littlecritters

littlecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    New York

One more thing to try is Simple Green. Works on oils, black permanent
    pen marks etc. Look for it at your grocery store or Home depot...

10. TheChicknGarden

TheChicknGarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    san antonio, texas
    Eek my house is filled with little peeping :) got my big girl 2 show girls for her bday! They are super cute!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by