Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. GoldBarRanch

GoldBarRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    try it again , you must have 10 post before it will allow you to do most things here

2. lil mama

lil mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    OR
    Picture please[​IMG]

3. lil mama

lil mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    OR
    He might be a she. He/she wont much bigger. They just seem to fill out. Where did you get puffle?

4. GoldBarRanch

GoldBarRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  5. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Im hoping my chicks hatch tomorrow. I dont want to have to wait till thrusday to see them hatch. 6 silkies under a broody mama. [​IMG] I also have a hatch of EE's due thursday also, then a hatch of 7 silkies due next week and a hatch of 4 the week after and depending on how the first time broodies are i might set more eggs under another broody, or she might be getting someone elses hatched chicks lol since she is a pro. And just when i got down to one silkie roo to sell and the 2 mix roos. [​IMG]

6. Sanna

Sanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    To me it looks like a rooster. The comb looks almost too big for a hen at this age. And someone was talking about the curvature of the beak a few pages back. Wouldn't that apply for this one's beak, looks like a rooster?
    Now, I am not a Silkie expert so I could be wrong! lol
    If he's a rooster, he'll get bigger. Even it it's a hen, it'll probably get a little bit bigger, at least fill out like lil mama said. :)

7. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

8. SilverSilkie

SilverSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

That is exactely what I intended with the curvature of the male beak.

9. SilverSilkie

SilverSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope we get a photo but I am about sure this light yellowish shine on a complete white Silkie (which is most probably a recessive white c/c) is caused by carotene in the food or by sunlight.
    This shine go away with the next molting but will come back when you keep giving food containing carotene or exposure of the bird to sunlight.
    What Sigrid write about yellowish shine is on the pluff of young chicks (s+ (gold) = yellowish pluff and S (Silver) = grayish pluff).

10. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

lol Theres already a big line for his offspring/eggs. He has JUST started to act like a mature boy, started seeing him grabbing the girls and he's starting to attempt to crow, took him long enough he's atleast 8 months old now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by