Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL
    Your Puffle is too cute! I have a white silkie that looks nearly exactly like this, and very small. At around 4 months, he is no bigger than my golden sebright of the same age. Mine is a feed store find. My autistic daughter named him Winter when we got him. We live in Florida and she has never seen snow, but she said he looks like snow in winter.... lol.
    ETA: I would say male

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    New baby silkies with daddy and auntie looking on[​IMG][​IMG]

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sweet photo!! Proud looking dad!

4. TheChicknGarden

TheChicknGarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    san antonio, texas
    Of course, i'll try to post later today.... Theybare just sooooo cute!!

5. TheChicknGarden

TheChicknGarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    san antonio, texas
    *are :D

6. 3ChickensinNC

3ChickensinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    on the coast
    Sounds like my DH when he was in his 20's. He said he was scared of the girls....lol.

7. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Looks like a cockerel to me. Silkies don't get very big, a roo weighs, what 34 or 32 oz.?? As for the red comb, they are NOT supposed to have red combs! Black or dark mulberry.

8. Debbi

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Nope, haven't had that pleasure yet! [​IMG] It is most likely the corn is still in the feathers. The thing that gets me is why it is only in the hackles? Are the hackle feathers that much lighter that they would pick up the color easier? It is not a dull yellow like I would expect from sun either, it is very shiney. They aren't going to any shows in my near future, so I'll just watch it and see where it goes, especially after the adult molt.

9. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

10. Debbi

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I tried to get another picture of it, but it doesn't seem to come through. Either the light is too bright, or if they are in the shade it is not bright enough. I feel you are probably correct it is the feeding of the scratch. It really looks quite pretty in contrast with the white though, wish there was a way for me to breed it into the hackles, wings, and saddle feathers, and maybe add a tad more depth of color. Several of the new chicks in this pen are white, so we'll see if it shows up on any of them. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by