Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it's considered a year old, but my girls don't seem to change much after 6 months, but the roos change for a long time. Look at these two photos of my main roo (only roo right now).

At seven months
    [​IMG]

At one year
    [​IMG]

2. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL

3. lil mama

lil mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    OR
    I just started raising them . I live in southern Oregon.

4. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    My silkies are shaking their heads a lot? They are molting is this normal? I got my glasses on picked one up and looked really close at head and under wings I didn't see any thing that looked like bugs. Should I treat just incase? Thanks for any input.

5. peepblessed

Thank you! He is blue.

6. peepblessed

When mine shake their heads a lot it's usually because the cheek feathers are blocking their view or tickling their eyes. Crest feathers can also irritate their eyes. It can't hurt to dust them for perisites though.

7. Sanna

Sanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I really don't want to go through a billion posts looking for an answer.
    We have a little chick with a splayed leg (I think that's what it's called). What's the best way to fix this? If I remember correctly, you can somehow bandage the legs together.. But where on the leg is the correct place to put the wrap?
    How far apart do I set the legs? I'm assuming at a natural position as if the chick was standing up straight.
    And what would be the best material to do this with? Does vetrap work?

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  8. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
  9. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon

Thanks peep blessed, I hope it's annoying feathers. Just incase I was thinking I should put sevens dust in their dusting area, would that effect the eggs?

10. peepblessed

I don't know about the eggs. I use DE (diatomaceous earth) in their dusting areas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by