Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Is graypearl the same as lavender? I remember that you used to raise paints but gave them up. Is that be cause they don't breed true or do they breed true in EU?

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

He looks splash with the much lighter underfluff like that. Or he's just a light based blue...What color was he as a chick do you know? was he very pale or was he dark?

3. SilverSilkie

SilverSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

I try to make a simple resumé to avoid further confusions. We must make a distinction between the name of a "gene" (= genetic-term) and the name of a "coloration" (= hobby-name).

Lavender is the name of the color-gene lav/lav
    lav/lav is a recessive gene. A recessive gene need both alleles in the mutated form to can express.
    So Lav+/lav is only 1 allel (or single doses) so this will not express but the bird is split (carrier) of 1 doses lavender.
    Graypearl is the name for what we can see with the eye of the expression of the black-pigment diluted by the gene lavender (= a coloration).
    Cream is the name for what we can see with the eye of the color-expression of red-pigment diluted by the gene lavender (= a coloration).

When we can see graypearl and cream at the same time this is called Isabel (= a coloration). (this bird have a double doses of lav/lav and will breed 100% true when bred to a similar bird with double doses of lav/lav)
    When we can see graypearl and cream and white at the same time this is (wrongly but common) called Porcelain (= a coloration). (this bird have a double doses of lav/lav and will breed 100 % true when bred to a similar bird with double doses of lav/lav)
    When you breed a Isabel or a Porcelain or a graypearl (all have a double doses of lav/lav) to a bird with NO doses of Lav+/Lav+ you will become 0% true breedings but all becomed chicks will be "split" Lav+/lav = carrier of 1 doses of the gene lavender. All these chicks will show their original coloration, which can be Partridge, Buff, Splash or Black, Blue, ....

Paints (= a coloration) is the name given to the phenomenon of a white with black spots (looks a little similar as a solid black with 2 doses dilution of Bl/Bl what is called Splash but is genetically totaly different).
    As far as is known a Paint X Paint produces 25% Black / 50% Paints / 25% White (this is for the EU Paints), so EU Paints breed for 50% true.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL

5. peepblessed

Would that mean that the "porcelains" we are breeding here could correctly be called isabel? or cream or isabel/cream! I would sure like to get an accurate name for what I've got!!!

6. Basel

Basel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Silkie Experts!

Quick egg size question...for my incubator.
    I need to get a new egg ring [for the automatic turner] for the silkie chicks I'm going to hatch.

What is the average silkie egg size? I can get a turning ring that will hold 3/4" to 1 1/4" eggs, or one that holds 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" eggs? Which one should I get?

I appreciate your help!! I want to order this today if possible.
    THANKS!

[​IMG]

7. peepblessed

Mine are between 1 1/4" and 1 1/2"

8. Chicken Play

Chicken Play Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2012
    Gainesville Georgia
    [​IMG]
    Here is my rooster, now that I really look at him, he has alot more color than i thought...hmmm..im thinking maybe not so good? ?

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  9. TheChicknGarden

TheChicknGarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    san antonio, texas
    the birthday girl (4yrs) with her baby bow tied show girls (1week)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

cookie (partridge) and flour ( white? porcelain ? not really too sure wing feathers are white... sure will be fun to see what color she/he ends up)
    ooo its been some time since we have had baby peeping in the house ... super cute , just might be two of the cutest chicks we've had... oddly enough the husband agrees and he was first thrown off by the whole bare necks lol [​IMG]

10. Chicken Play

Chicken Play Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2012
    Gainesville Georgia
    [​IMG]
    One of my hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by