Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ThaiChick

ThaiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    STL, Missouri

I'm curious about this because one of my 10 day old chicks appear this way except it a goldish hue all over, but the base if you will is white. Is this leakage also?

2. penneypep

penneypep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    HA HA thats funny ! Should I wait until they are full grown to mix them ? And how old is full grown ? Thanks

3. penneypep

Apr 11, 2012
    Ok thank you !

4. penneypep

Apr 11, 2012
    How adorable is that !~! At what age is full grown and should I wait until then to mix?? And how will they do new silkies with lil chicks about 2 wks old ? Thank you

5. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine at the most were 3 weeks a part in age, but at the time I mix mine one was 2 weeks and the others were 4 and 5 weeks. I kept a close eye on them of course and they did fine. Never had a problem. From what I've read is it's best if they are close in size. This way little ones don't get trampled.

6. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

7. scamperwillow

scamperwillow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Sebastopol, CA
    They won't let me into that area and they won't let me post pictures - keep getting this you don't have permission message. What's up with that??

8. scamperwillow

Apr 9, 2012
    Sebastopol, CA
  9. scamperwillow

Apr 9, 2012
    Sebastopol, CA
    They won't let me into the buy/sell/trade area and they won't let me post pictures - keep getting this you don't have permission message. What's up with that??

10. SilverSilkie

SilverSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Normaly recessive white c/c (= colorless) not leak gold (s+)
    Dominant white in single dosis I/i+ (Inhibitor) not stop red-pigment at all (= pile) it transform the black-pigment into "white" with possible little black dots (mainly in tails)
    Dominant white in double dosis I/I not stop red-pigment completely (is why it's called a leaky gene). When you want a "complete" white bird on Dominant white you need first a solid black bird with no red-pigment leakage to can let the Dominant white transform that overall black bird in an overall white bird.
    The yellow shine on a complete white bird (recessive or Dominant) can also be caused by food (carotene) and sunlight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by