Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I took some pictures of my grow out pen. I have babies 6 weeks to 10 weeks and two 5 month old splash pullets in there. Most of these are from my blue pair so they are my first that I have raised from sratch so to speak! There are three ten week old chicks in the first photo that are from Catdance eggs. :)
    [​IMG]
    These three are from my own pair. Blue is 9 wks. splash 8 wks. and black 6 wks. I'm getting such great foot feathering and so excited about that!
    [​IMG]
    I'm all so getting some super fluffy blacks! This one is only 8 wks.
    [​IMG]
    And this one is 9 weeks.
    [​IMG]

3. lil mama

lil mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    OR
    I never heard anyone say "I was a sitting duck". I always say "easy target". I think I will start saying "sitting duck" I like it better.[​IMG]

4. lil mama

lil mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    OR
    What breader has the best silkies in the US?

5. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    My Catdance babies are 2 1/2 weeks now. I can't believe how much they're changing! It's been fun to watch how they're feathering out. I just wish they'd come out wearing name tags so I knew my boys from girls! I'm considering ordering another dozen just so I can keep a girl of every color. And this "Silkie" thing has snuck up on me so stealthily, I'm even having a new coop and run built. I told myself it would be my new grow out pen but I'm thinking it's actually a Silkie pen...
    Oops!

Not the best photos, these are taken with the camera phone - without a chick wrangler I can't really manage holding onto my big camera and keeping the chick in place. Maybe next time I'll just set up the tripod.

My Black chick -
    [​IMG]

Blue (from egg marked blue/splash
    [​IMG]

Blue from a Paint egg
    [​IMG]

Partridge from Paint egg
    [​IMG]

Porcelain
    [​IMG]

Lavender
    [​IMG]

6. peepblessed

Such cute pictures!! Your babies are really precious!!

7. peepblessed

Watch the slide show on the ASBC site. You have to look quick to see the breeders names. http://www.americansilkiebantamclub.org/

8. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Depends what you are looking for. And I'm sure this is a matter of opinion. I'm quite sure there are several breeders in the US producing VERY fine, good quality Silkies.

9. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL
    Oh, cool, I am in Northern Florida!! I don't know enough about chickens for breeding purposes, but I hope you achieve blue!!
    Hope all goes well for you!![​IMG]

10. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL
    [​IMG] OhhhhhhhhMG, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by