Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. littlecritters

littlecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    New York

That is exactly what we say. :)

2. littlecritters

littlecritters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    New York
    Beautiful pics, SadieSue and PeepBlessed!

3. Chicken Play

Chicken Play Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2012
    Gainesville Georgia
    Patiently? That IS true love!

4. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Hello, I am new to the thread and jumping into the middle with a question. We have our first little white silkie ( my 11 year old daughters). When/how will we know if it is a boy or a girl? My avatar is a pic of her at 4 weeks. She/he is 6weeks now. Any advice would be great. This was our first hatch. We have had a year with 4-H pullets, so didn't have to sex them.[​IMG] We are anxious to see which we ended up with. Any advice would be great. Thanks

5. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon

Ok thanks! I'll be watching. :)

6. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Based on the research I have done on this, I would consider Show Quality a bird without DQ's that would likely win or place high in a show, while Breed Quality is a bird without DQ's or occasionally with a DQ which has some great features but may have something like a small crest or poor foot feathering or poor type that would keep it from winning in a show but might be worth breeding to see if it will pass on the great qualities but not the bad ones. I hope others will chime in on this as I believe it's an important discussion.

7. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon

Your so lucky! I would love to see pics when you get them. :)

8. peepblessed

Occasionally a silkie can be sexed at 7 or 8 wks. but usually they can be sexed at 3 or 4 months. Some times you have to wait until they crow or lay an egg! Welcome to the silkie thread! I wouldn't hang around here too long though as there are lots of silkie enablers here and you will end up getting so many more you won't know where to put them!

9. JoshU

JoshU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Ada, Ohio
    [​IMG] True True True

10. peepblessed

Hey, Josh, We'd love to see some photos of the cuties in your avatar!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by